Author Topic: Stickmen Sprites...  (Read 8461 times)

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • MSN Messenger - marmalade0864@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
Stickmen Sprites...
« on: 2008-01-01, 05:01:21 AM »
I announced a while back, that I was gonna make these sprites... actually I said they would be ready by the official release. But school and everything else, didn't have time unfortunately. Now that I'm in summer holidays, I decided I'd continue working on them.

All the graphics for them are done, it's just the making of the sprites to do now. Sounds simple right? No, not really. I wanted these to be great sprites, so they have a pretty complex rule set. This includes things like decent animation, full running and jumping animation complete so far, with jumping to be done soon. :D
Animation 'Preview': http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=G3aFB1MX6N0
but also, other than animation, it is a pretty complex sprite compared to the fairly simple sprites made in SGDK1. This includes things such as rules to stop you changing direction mid-air, when you jump you actually gain a little speed, if you don't build up speed by running first, your jump won't get very far, etc...

But just today I added a really cool, yet simple feature. You can set the colour of your sprite. And I don't just mean red, green blue, yellow etc. I mean full power over rgb values, in game. This allows you 14526784 different colours. :D  Why in-game you say? well if you wanted to you could easily modify it a little to be done in a menu, like a character select, but I chose to do it in-game, as like a camouflage feature.  :nerd:
Say you wanted green, since you start off black, you need to add more green, to make yourself green. You simply press G+Pageup... If you decide you made him a little too bright, G+Pagedown. If you wanted to make purple, you would go back to black, by holding G+Pagedown until you lost all your green-y-ness, and then add some blue and some red. This is done by pressing B+Pageup, to add blue, then R+Pageup to add some red, this will come out purple. :D
Now earlier I mentioned this could be used for camouflage... it wouldn't work against bot players, as it would take some complex code to do that, but it could work in MULTIPLAYER! Since I'm making 4 sprites I might as well build multiplayer into the sprite rules instead of the map, as much as I can anyway. So you can easily blend into backgrounds, to the point where your the exact same colour as it. This all depends on your knowledge of rgb values, and how good your reflexes are on the pageup/down buttons, it would be a skill, it would take practice. I know I made it sound really hard, but I just gave it a shot now and did pretty well I think. I will post a video to demonstrate soon. (Everyone likes videos!)
Oh and I might as well post the project so far, so you can have a shot at it yourself.   ;)
http://www.box.net/shared/muey3m4g0o

Not sure if I will actually include that with the sprites, seems a little too specific, it would only work for a few projects.
If I don't include it with the sprites I might make it a importable source code thing or something like that, or include it in a game of my own, as I think it's pretty cool. :nerd:

[offtopic]
Oh, and any advice on how I can shorten/optimize that rule tree? It's massive...
wow, those .sgdk2 files compress so well! 300kb, with all the graphics and stuff embedded in there... that's fantastic! :D
[/offtopic]
« Last Edit: 2008-01-01, 05:25:45 AM by Jam0864 »

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
Re: Stickmen Sprites...
« Reply #1 on: 2008-01-01, 06:09:31 AM »
hmm, the modify button is gone...
demonstration of camouflage: http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=QFdD8FAD_4E

Tanja

• Clever
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008-01-01, 11:17:16 AM »
wow, the videos are impressive. the idea of a camouflage feature through simply giving the control over the rgb values to the users - is very hot! i like that very much.

for sizing down your rule tree look at this older thread of mine and bluemonks tipps:
http://gamedev.comdel.net/index.php?topic=1113.0

eric22222

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Eric Online
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2008-01-01, 03:42:19 PM »
Jam, you have earned my respect today. That is a really impressive and well-executed feature. Hope to see some great multiplayer coming out of this!

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2008-01-01, 09:13:15 PM »
Cool videos, but geez, those tiles look about 1600% too big for that sprite! :surprise:

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2008-01-02, 12:38:40 AM »
hahaha, they were just some leftover tiles i had and I couldn't be stuffed making more at the time so I just used them. :D