Author Topic: Mozilla Firefox  (Read 2939 times)

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • MSN Messenger - marmalade0864@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
Mozilla Firefox
« on: 2007-03-17, 01:43:09 AM »
I recently got Firefox. Anyone else got it? It seems to run faster, less spyware but certain things don't work. It has tabs, just like IE7. Certain extras such as custom scroll bars, cursors, glowing text and mouse trails don't work. Overall it's alright but probably isn't worth getting.

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
Re: Mozilla Firefox
« Reply #1 on: 2007-03-17, 07:42:39 AM »
Except that it is safer, in my mind.  I use Firefox almost exclusively.  All of those wizzbang features are Internet-Explorer-only features that have no place in the W3C XHTML (or HTML) standards, and frankly, they don't exactly improve my internet browsing experience.  Most of the time, when I see all of those things, I think that I'm looking at a page made by an inexperienced web developer who wanted to put every piece of code he could find on the internet into his page.  What most people would call a Script Kiddie.

On the other end, Internet Explorer doesn't support many features that are in the W3C XHTML standard that Firefox does.  It has gotten much, much better with the release of IE7, in respect to CSS, but it still falls behind Firefox in several key places that make it terribly difficult to develop a useful, interesting, and interactive web page compatible with both browsers without going out of your way to program specifically for "Most Browsers" and "Internet Explorer".

Unfortunately, Internet Explorer still has the market cornered, though Firefox is gaining momentum.  Personally, I ignore Internet Explorer all together when making my personal website.  Unfortunately, I don't have such freedom when doing other people's.
Edward Dassmesser

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2007-03-17, 07:52:26 AM »
I use FireFox primarily now too, but dang I wish it could run .NET controls.  Is there any embedded component with support for high-speed graphics that FireFox supports?  Can flash perform as well as DirectX applications for 2D?

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #3 on: 2007-03-17, 08:55:43 AM »
Java is the first thing that comes to mind.  I wouldn't try Flash, honestly.  It wold require something completely different than anything currently in SGDK2.  If that's what you're referring to.

Of course, if you used Java, you'd either have to reprogram anyway (but C# is pretty similar to Java) using a different graphics method, like OpenGL, or you'd have to embed the C# UserControl in a JApplet, which would require COM, and I don't know what else, and I'm not even sure it would work on a webpage.
« Last Edit: 2007-03-17, 09:07:26 AM by durnurd »
Edward Dassmesser

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • MSN Messenger - marmalade0864@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2007-03-17, 03:32:54 PM »
Except that it is safer, in my mind.  I use Firefox almost exclusively.  All of those wizzbang features are Internet-Explorer-only features that have no place in the W3C XHTML (or HTML) standards, and frankly, they don't exactly improve my internet browsing experience.  Most of the time, when I see all of those things, I think that I'm looking at a page made by an inexperienced web developer who wanted to put every piece of code he could find on the internet into his page.  What most people would call a Script Kiddie.
Just like my site. lol I use firefox when searching for information, because the results no different, and i have a google toolbar! When updating my site i use IE6, because 1.firefox can't run the page editor correctly. 2.my site doesn't look the same with firefox.
« Last Edit: 2007-03-17, 03:40:49 PM by Jam0864 »