Author Topic: Okay, where to start...?  (Read 5561 times)

davidi

• Visitor
    • View Profile
    • Davidi Development Website
Okay, where to start...?
« on: 2007-10-10, 07:59:40 AM »
Well, I have to admit, SDK 2.0 is very powerful, and to be honest, I should probably learn it.  Although, if I do need to learn the basics of VBScript, since I'm not into VB, I would prefer to just learn what I need to know to use SDK...but if there are tutorials on the website that tell me what I need to know, that would be great...
This isn't really my start in game development, I'm just getting sick of RPG Maker, and Game Maker's cool and all, but...I can't get a project over 2.0 MB without the engine running slow as molasses, so...I'm thinking of giving SDK another shot...
So, I plan to download it today and get started...wish me luck, and have a good day.
Davidi
Head of Davidi Development

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
Re: Okay, where to start...?
« Reply #1 on: 2007-10-10, 04:54:33 PM »
Why are you choosing GameDev 1.x over SGDK2?  I think SGDK2 will be significantly faster (at least at runtime) than GameDev 1.x because it compiles the project to a real executable, and is based on compiled C# code instead of VBScript.  The coding documentation is also better with SGDK2 than the scripting reference for GameDev 1.x, and I suspect it will be easier to learn SGDK2 coding, and less necessary because of SGDK2's flexibility.

If you want to stick with version 1.x, though, I can suggest the "Docutorial" and Scripting reference, both included in the help file.