Author Topic: PS3 Protein Folding  (Read 2925 times)

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
PS3 Protein Folding
« on: 2007-03-25, 09:25:58 AM »
The most recent update to the PS3s operating system this past week included a new link in the menu system to download something called "folding@home".  Yesterday I downloaded it and set my PS3 to work.  This is a pretty interesting distributed computing project, and interesting too that they are getting PS3s to participate.  I leave my PS3 on, and it will perform complex calculation sets submitted to it by Stanford University (each set takes maybe half a day).  These calculations involve simulations of "protein folding", which is a molecular process that is important to understand for medical research.  So my PS3 is doing medical research in its free time.  It's cool that I can watch what its doing too.  It draws images of the protein molecules it's currently working on and how they are moving in the simulation.  This process is happening about 10 trillion times slower in the simulation than it does in the real world, I think, but that just makes it slow enough to see things happening instead of things snapping into place like they do at the molecular level in the real world.

You can see more information about the project at http://folding.stanford.edu/

Just thought this was cool enough to mention. :)

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • MSN Messenger - marmalade0864@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
Re: PS3 Protein Folding
« Reply #1 on: 2007-03-25, 11:50:45 PM »
hey that's pretty cool!

sam

• Fanatic
  • This statement is false.
    • MSN Messenger - samlancashire@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • samlancashire.com
    • Email
Re: PS3 Protein Folding
« Reply #2 on: 2007-08-24, 02:47:07 PM »
=O
PS3's are amazing...
I've seen so much on YouTube about them..