Author Topic: Copying Map Information  (Read 3757 times)

utkwes

• Visitor
  • SuperMarioRipoff-10% Development
    • ICQ Messenger - 150506923
    • MSN Messenger - a@utk.edu
    • AOL Instant Messenger - utkwes
    • View Profile
    • My Homepage
    • Email
Copying Map Information
« on: 2006-04-12, 11:28:04 PM »
If I make a project with animated tiles, etc, I'll probably want to use them in more than one map.  How do I copy animated tiles, etc to another map.
Per my specific example and delimma:
I'm making a mario game.  I need coins and other animations, tile collisions in every level, but it seems I must redefine EVERYTHING save sprites, am I right or retarded?

My game DOWNLOAD is here: http://utkwes.googlepages.com/downloads

Any suggestions past the answer to my above question are welcome!  I need all the help I can get.  Of course, don't just tell me what, give me an idea or help me with what I need to do.  Thanks a lot!
-Wes
errrr... rtfm?
Things are impossible until they are not.

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
Re: Copying Map Information
« Reply #1 on: 2006-04-13, 08:33:13 AM »
Unfortunately, this is correct, at least in SGDK version 1.x.  If you are going to make a large number of maps with similar interactions and animations in each level, then what I would suggest is creating a "template" map and define everything there, then copy it to each map using a script during run-time.  If you want to see that in action,  you can take a look at the Wudd demo.  Or you could define everything in the script without a template map (See Gold Yoink).  If all you want to do is copy the animations, a script to simply copy an animation from a given map to a different map would be relatively simple.  The only bad thing is that the names of animations have to be unique to the entire project, not just a map.
Edward Dassmesser

utkwes

• Visitor
    • View Profile
    • My Homepage
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2006-04-13, 10:13:15 AM »
Hmmm... That seems a little backward productive... Interesting to say the least.  Is this going to be fixed in SGDK2? 
I would think that a library of animations, etc would be useful instead of limiting them to a level.
errrr... rtfm?

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2006-04-13, 02:06:39 PM »
You might want to consider putting all your maps on one map, if you know what I mean.  GameDev maps can be very large, so there should be plenty of room to do that.  The drawback is that you will have to make sure you don't get too many sprites active.  You'll probably want to not have any sprite be "Initial Instance" except the player sprite, and have special functions to activate other sprites only when the player is around (and delete them when you leave).

And yes, this is fixed in SGDK2.  It is so fixed.  It's really quite fixed.  I don't know if you realize just how fixed this is in SGDK2! ;)  Actually I haven't actually seen a tile animate in SGDK2 yet, but the design is there for it to be much better for both sprites and tiles.

utkwes

• Visitor
    • View Profile
    • My Homepage
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2006-04-15, 12:52:07 PM »
Sweet, thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm really excited about the upgrade.  I can only imagine the changes from a 1.x.x version to a 2.0!  Speaking of 2.0... where can I get a beta?  It seems others have it, but I haven't found a download.  Am I blind?

Thanks,
Wes

Edit: I found a download entitled SGDK2 from the old boards: http://gamedev.sf.net/SGDK2.zip we'll see what it looks like.
« Last Edit: 2006-04-15, 01:07:48 PM by utkwes »
errrr... rtfm?

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #5 on: 2006-04-15, 03:35:11 PM »
The latest version of the Pre-Alpha release (it's not even in alpha testing yet, much less beta) can be found at http://sgdk2.sf.net
Edward Dassmesser

utkwes

• Visitor
    • View Profile
    • My Homepage
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2006-04-17, 09:58:47 AM »
Looks very neat-O.  I'm pumped.  ;D
errrr... rtfm?