Author Topic: Transitions  (Read 4750 times)

AjVback

• Visitor
    • View Profile
    • Email
Transitions
« on: 2005-05-17, 04:43:32 AM »
Would it be possible to create a script which fades in and out of different maps every time you use the "Swich map" function? Its just that sometimes the flat, 1 screen to another is a bit abrupt. A transition would look cool too. it would have to have something to do with accesing the screen/moniter propeties. (im still learning VB)
-Aaron Snoswell

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
Transition effect
« Reply #1 on: 2005-05-17, 05:49:19 AM »
There are no such properties, and no way to access them from script (even if there are).  But one could make a series of maps/layers that have dithered tile patterns on them to progressively reveal more of the map.  Then the script could draw those in sequence over the top of the display after a switch map function occurs to simulate a transition.  I don't have time to demonstrate that this morning, but if you're interested in that kind of thing, I might be able to work it out later.  I think others have mentioned wanting to do something similar.

AjVback

• Visitor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2005-05-21, 08:42:18 PM »
I see. so the map/layer which it fades throught would have lots of semi transparent tiles? Interesting idea. Is it possible to make the player swich to a new sprite on a different layer?
-Aaron Snoswell

billybob884

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • AOL Instant Messenger - billybob884
    • View Profile
Transitions
« Reply #3 on: 2005-05-21, 08:55:11 PM »
you can go back and delete your own posts as long as noone posts after you
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." :: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
Re: Reply
« Reply #4 on: 2005-05-22, 06:46:13 AM »
Quote from: "AjVback"
I see. so the map/layer which it fades throught would have lots of semi transparent tiles? Interesting idea. Is it possible to make the player swich to a new sprite on a different layer?

Yes, there is a project called LAyers.zip in http://gamedevprj.sourceforge.net/files/

It uses a script, but that is only because there was an error in an earlier version of gamedev and this script worked around it.  If you are using GameDev 1.4.5, you can delete the script file and change the 2 special functions like this:

GoDown: Change this function's effect to be "Switch to a new sprite", select "BottomPlayer" as the sprite, and check the boxes for "Retail old state", "New instance", and "Delete old sprite".
GoUp: Do the same thing, except select "TopPlayer" as the sprite.

Then you will see how to switch layers without any script.  You should be able to go above and below the grated floor by using the stairs.

AjVback

• Visitor
    • View Profile
    • Email
Cool
« Reply #5 on: 2005-05-22, 07:08:27 PM »
Thankyou, ill download the project and have a look, also thankyou for that tip Mike.
-Aaron Snoswell