Author Topic: Web page  (Read 8195 times)

Goowolgo

• Regular
    • AOL Instant Messenger - CaseyAAdams
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
    • Email
Web page
« on: 2008-04-16, 11:51:03 AM »
In one of my classes I have to pick out a webpage and redesign. So I have been working on a rough version for a re-vamp of the SGDK2 webpage, I haven't put together a header or anything yet so far I have just blocked it out in yellow, but it's getting there. I'm sure the design will change a bunch until it's due on the 30th. Tell me what you think. 

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v601/blankasday/sgdk/v1rough.png

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
Re: Web page
« Reply #1 on: 2008-04-16, 12:33:37 PM »
It looks very clean, I'll give it that.  I'm sure you'll get to it eventually, but it seems like it needs something in the upper-right of the content section, next to the Introduction.  Perhaps something that integrates with something hanging from the header.  A view of a mock game could be up in the header (at least on the right half) hand the map could continue down into the content section.

Like I said, I'm sure you'll spruce it up a bit before it's finished, and it does look clean.  One other thing to mention is that the theme of the page seems like it's taken right out of a template.  Blocks are nice and all, (heck, I've used 'em myself on a few occasions) but it doesn't match SGDK2.  Maybe it could use sprites in the corners where the blocks are, or fade to the grey/white background that SGDK2  uses (and other programs) to signify a transparent area.  Or both.  And if you used background-attachment:fixed it would look even better.  It would look like it does in SGDK2 when you have two layers with scroll rates of 0 and 1.
Edward Dassmesser

Tanja

• Clever
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008-04-16, 02:44:18 PM »
i like it when some game atmosphere comes by. the left and right unused space could be filled with a pretty game landscape. hey durnurd, how is it going with this? http://gamedev.comdel.net/index.php?topic=1079.0
maybe this could be used. or something retro liks this: http://www.spriteart.com/indigo/

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #3 on: 2008-04-16, 04:32:43 PM »
Well, I haven't worked on that graphic set for awhile.  Most of the things I'm working on I'm just waiting for SGDK2.1.  That's not necessarily one of them, but I just haven't gotten around to finishing it yet.  Some day, I know I will, though.  Heck, I keep it on my desktop, that's annoying enough for me, because I like my desktop to be empty.
Edward Dassmesser

Goowolgo

• Regular
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2008-04-18, 07:44:50 AM »
Thank you for the suggestions. Sadly in most of my work I have this boxy feel with my web work and it's hard to break that habit. I definitely like the idea of having various scrolling going on in the page. I'll have to play around a lot in the Golive program to get it just right though. I also have to incorporate the icons in SGDK2 (the rocket-ship and the paintbrush) and I'll see how it looks on the right side of the body. I am hoping to get some kind of animation going on the header/banner showing multiple types of a game that you could possibly make with SGDK. I'll try and post my progression as I go along.

Goowolgo

• Regular
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2008-04-18, 01:28:57 PM »
I still haven't got to the banner yet, but it's still rolling.

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • MSN Messenger - marmalade0864@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2008-04-18, 04:11:25 PM »
wow thats cool. :D

Tanja

• Clever
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008-04-18, 04:20:35 PM »
i'm sure it was a lot of work, but i like the simple logo better.

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2008-04-18, 05:45:04 PM »
Yeah, I miss the adventurous outer-space feel of the original banner.  I'd like that idea somewhere on the page.  Can you work on enhancing the layout (maybe adding new graphics without removing the existing banner), and postpone enhancing/replacing existing graphics until last?  I really like the theme of the existing banner, so if you want to use the graphic you showed, maybe you could make it fit the same theme by having a spacey background behind it and keeping both graphics?  Maybe the planet planet also looks a little too earth-like... like this might be a political/scientific game development kit instead of an adventurous explorative game development kit ;).  A professional look is good to a degree, but for a game development kit we have to be sure not to forget the fun.  So maybe slightly more cartoon-ish (posterize it?).

The graphic along the side of the About dialog of SGDK2 is somewhat cartoon-y, and it's a perfect example of the style/mood/theme I'm looking to convey.  Unfortunately I can't seem to track down the artist (OrionPax) who did that graphic in order to create the web banner and do other graphics as he had once planned.  Even the About dialog graphic is unfinished (missing a paintbrush), but it's good enough.  Any chance of extending that same theme to the web site?

Goowolgo

• Regular
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2008-05-16, 09:25:23 PM »
School is finally out! Sorry I lost touch for a bit, I had quite a few things going on with school. I had finished the project a few weeks ago. You can catch it here: thecaseyadams.com/beta/sgdk2

and I know its not what you want, but I do plan on working on something more fitting to the SGDK2 enviroment.

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: 2009-08-27, 07:09:25 AM »
Do you know of any events that have happened lately that you think should be shown on the web page that are not?

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #11 on: 2009-08-27, 06:31:11 PM »
I gotta say, that last post by D.phype sounds an awful lot like Markov-synthesized text (a fun project on its own merit).  But who's John, and what's cow print got to do with anything?
Edward Dassmesser

SmartBoy16

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
  • Looking for inspiration.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: 2009-08-27, 07:47:02 PM »
I gotta say, that last post by D.phype sounds an awful lot like Markov-synthesized text (a fun project on its own merit).  But who's John, and what's cow print got to do with anything?

i think its another one of those people. his ICQ number's invalid and he links to a russian dating service.
Looking to the skies.....

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: 2009-08-28, 05:33:50 AM »
Heh, it's getting harder to tell the difference with some people getting... how shall I say... "simpler" and some computers getting more complex... I think there are some people "simpler" than computers :).

"I fail Turing test 3x consecutive :("