Scrolling Game Development Kit Forum
SGDK Version 1 => Projects => Topic started by: Corren Bros on 2016-06-24, 02:11:59 PM
Hey, it's been a while since I've been here! I was just thinking about SGDK and how it helped me and my brother choose our career paths. So I decided to share a personal game I made a little more than two years back. It was the last game I made using SGDK. It wasn't easy, but it was strangely nostalgic... Well, anyway, here's some info on the game:
- You play as Cummador. A young man who is constantly asked to perform his friends chores. Complete them to beat the game.
- The game is kind of esoteric, therefore it is riddled with inside jokes. However, there is still a game to be played here.
- It has some pretty foul language, so it's meant for mature individuals to play. More specifically, people who are not easily offended and can take a joke!
- This game is not serious and is meant to be laughed at. Some of the characters are rude degenerates and you shouldn't take what they say seriously!
- It lasts about 1-2 hours, or 10-20 minutes if you know where everything is.
- Saving at your house: Inside Cummador's house, press space on the door to save your game.
- Attacking: Hold right or left and press space to attack.
- Talking: Press space on NPCs to see what they have to say.
- Buying items: Hold down and press space. More detail is explained by the shop owner.
- Placing Platforms: Press space near metallic beams to place a platform.
- RAR version: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2-DppPbcXuBc25KQkt0QVdfMTg (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2-DppPbcXuBc25KQkt0QVdfMTg)
- SGDK 1.4.6 Required to run it. http://gamedev.sourceforge.net/download.shtml (http://gamedev.sourceforge.net/download.shtml)
How do I go about submitting the game? It's about 6MBs, but the max file attachment size is 128kb.
Great story, thanks for sharing how SGDK inspired you! Have you tried submitting the game at http://sgdk2.enigmadream.com/index.php/projects (http://sgdk2.enigmadream.com/index.php/projects)? Sorry, I can't remember if I left that site in a state where submissions are accepted, and, as the admin, it's hard for me to view the site as a normal user.
Edit: I see you posted in the SGDK 1 forum implying that your project is not for SGDK2. In that case, I'm afraid I don't have a good answer for you. It's been too long since I added to the version 1 project listing, and the listing isn't really working very well any more, nor is the software in some cases. But you should be able to find a game/software submission site without too much trouble, and then just link to your game from here if you manage to get it uploaded elsewhere.
Sorry about that. I should've clarified it was for SGDK v1. The submission site for SGDK1 does look a bit old, so I'll just use Google. Here's a link to it!
The Game: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2-DppPbcXuBc25KQkt0QVdfMTg (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2-DppPbcXuBc25KQkt0QVdfMTg)
Let me know if it works.
Hm. By default it was running at about 1 FPS. Then I switched the mode to 32 bits per pixel and it runs at 60 FPS - much better. I only had time to play it for a couple seconds, but it works! Have you ever considered using the install packager to distribute it more easily to people who don't have SGDK? I re-installed SGDK 1 just to check this out, so I might be able to run through the install packager if you aren't set up for it.
Thank goodness it works! And I'm glad it's running at good framerate.
I forgot about the Install Packager, I've actually never used it. If you could make the installer and send me it, I'd be very grateful.
EDIT2: Nevermind, I think I figured out the Installer Packager. I updated the original post with links to the RAR and Installer!
If you like I can also post similar information on the Scrolling Game Development Kit Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/Scrolling-Game-Development-Kit-142273489121708). Or (if you have the ability to post there) you could post there yourself; just make sure to note that it's a version 1 project.
I tried the installer but I can't get the game to play. It keeps saying "unexpected error. Quitting". Anybody else gets this message? I don't have SGDK1, so I was hoping to be able to play the game without installing it. :)
Hmm... the installer installs the game for me, but when I attempt to make a shortcut with GameDev.exe, it doesn't work. It says it cannot find the VB6STKIT.dll and then tries with VB5STKIT.dll. That's kind of a bummer. Is this similar to your situation, Vincent? Or does it not install at all?
Edit: Have you tried right-clicking on the Game I.gdp file and selecting play? Or would you need SGDK1 installed to perform that action?
I was able to run from the installer. but I had already installed GameDev (SGDK 1) which may have impacted how it worked.
The installer works well, all the files are installed on my computer. But the exe won't launch the game, double clicking it crashes with the message "unexpected error. Quitting". I haven't tried it the right-click on the gdp file, but I'm sure it won't work without SGDK1. gdp file is not a recognized file extension on my computer.