Author Topic: .net framework  (Read 2713 times)

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • MSN Messenger - marmalade0864@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
.net framework
« on: 2007-09-07, 03:54:57 AM »
I went to install SGDK2 on my laptop running vista. It said I needed .net framework 1.1.4322 which is older than the version I currently have...(Cant remember if its 2 or 3 lol) So if I install .net framework 1.1.4322 on my computer, will the version I have currently still operate? Like if i install this version to run SGDK2, will programs that require my current version still work?
So can I have both installed?

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
Re: .net framework
« Reply #1 on: 2007-09-07, 05:12:22 AM »
Thanks for that info.  I was always unclear on whether there was such a thing as an environment that has .NET 2.0+ but did not support .NET 1.1 applications.  I guess I have my answer.  I'll have to upgrade SGDK2 as soon as possible after the initial release (I don't want to overhaul SGDK2 right now when it's just beginning to settle down).  I've been wanting to take advantage of 2.0 for a while, and convert SGDK2 to Visual Studio Express, which is free for everyone (instead of the version of Visual Studio I'm using now which one would have to buy, and why would you buy something older and worse than the free one?).  So I'll release 2.0 with .NET 1.1, then start work on 2.1 for .NET 2.0 (and maybe try to support OpenGL too or something).

To answer your question, yes, it's safe to have multiple versions of .NET installed.  .NET is very tightly versioned so applications and framework related to .NET 1.1 remain quite separate from those related to .NET 2.0.

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #2 on: 2007-09-07, 12:33:41 PM »
It would be good to note that the current version of SGDK2 can be opened in the Express version of Visual C# 2005, but the project would need to be upgraded, as do the individual projects that you create with SGDK2.  This is a trivial process, as there is an automatic wizard to do this when you open the file.
Edward Dassmesser

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2007-09-07, 04:29:59 PM »
Right, right. The cheap upgrade would be easy, but I figure when I do upgrade SGDK2 to .NET 2.0 I will want to take advantage of some of the features available as I do it, converting collections of objects into template collections and that sort of thing.  Also, it will be nice to have one "official" release that supports .NET 1.1 in case someone, for whatever reason, needs a version that runs on 1.1.  But now I'm just grasping at straws. :)

But yes, if anyone does want to run SGDK2 on .NET 2.0, it's not that hard to do if you get Visual C# Express 2005.