Author Topic: SGDK2 Beta 1 Released  (Read 10807 times)

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
SGDK2 Beta 1 Released
« on: 2007-09-10, 06:11:02 AM »
The first beta release of SGDK2 has been posted. See the homepage news for details.

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • MSN Messenger - marmalade0864@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
Re: SGDK2 Beta 1 Released
« Reply #1 on: 2007-09-10, 11:56:50 PM »
Ill update the toolbar, although i'm not sure how many people actually use it... lol

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2007-09-11, 08:15:36 PM »
I was doing a Google search on SGDK2 this morning (before I read your message) and stumbled across the familiar toolbar with news about the beta contained in it already.  I was quite befuddled: "Why does the text in the toolbar preview not match the text of anything I posted (it has an exclamation point, and I only used periods)?  Does someone actually manually maintain that text?  Where? How? How did it get updated so soon? How does the preview even reflect this? How does the person get notified when there's new news, check every day? So many questions!"  Soon all the internet will be beyond most people's comprehension, and it will evolve into a super-intelligent self-motivating entity that will control us all  ;D.  "I for one welcome our new cybernetic overlord..." -- Kent Brockman paraphrased / The Simpsons.

BTW, this time I did post the news item in the SourceForge News feed for SGDK2, so anything that subscribes to the RSS feed of SGDK2 news items should have been able to pick it up.  I intend to continue doing so, so if you have a way of making the toolbar pick up the news items, that might be easier on you than maintaining it manually.

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2007-09-11, 11:53:25 PM »
yeah, i copied he text from the homepage, and modified it a bit to suit the ticker. (not good too long as it takes ages to scroll through it.) And yeah, i added the exclamation mark. lol I maintain it at the moment, but i can make it read an RSS feed if you give me a link to one. I updated it as soon as I saw your post lol, and as this forum is one of my home page tabs, i see this forum several times a day.
Soon all the internet will be beyond most people's comprehension, and it will evolve into a super-intelligent self-motivating entity that will control us all  .  "I for one welcome our new cybernetic overlord..." -- Kent Brockman paraphrased / The Simpsons.
wow thats... a very big "lol"

Also, wow... the toolbar comes up first page in google... kinda strange it got there so quickly, i didnt even submit it to google... well that just means more publicity i suppose. ;)
« Last Edit: 2007-09-12, 12:20:07 AM by Jam0864 »

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2007-09-12, 05:13:37 AM »
So where is the content currently being stored?  Are you hosting it somewhere?

If you want to use RSS, I think the link for the news RSS is: http://sourceforge.net/export/rss2_projnews.php?group_id=152001

I got that link from the list of project RSS feeds at http://sourceforge.net/export/rss2_project.php?group_id=152001.

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2007-09-12, 05:31:49 AM »
yep its being hosted on www.conduit.com servers. I'll add the RSS feed tomorow, im going to bed after this.

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2007-09-13, 01:43:30 AM »
all it seems to say is "SGDK2 First Beta Released" Is it supposed to pick up details as well?
EDIT: I just seen a useful feature I could add. It's called an application launcher. Click the button and if you have SGDK2 installed, it will start it. If you dont have SGDK2 on your system, it will download it. Only catch is I need a "Registered Application Alias" it says that its the alias you that you registered the application in the registry with. If you dont wanna give that out on the forum, just pm it to me.
« Last Edit: 2007-09-13, 02:01:01 AM by Jam0864 »

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2007-09-13, 05:27:37 AM »
I'm not sure what "alias" it's referring to.  These are the registry entries that I have that lead to the program that might be relevant:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\SGDK2IDE.exe
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\sgdk2file
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.sgdk2

Nothing SGDK2 does is a secret.  It is, after all, open source.  Where are you reading about these "aliases"?

The RSS News Item does provide details.  What you have it the title.  When I browse to that RSS item with FireFox, it shows the title with a link and then a paragraph of detail below it.  I wouldn't be surprised if the toolbar only showed the title.  There's not much room for more than a title in a toolbar.

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2007-09-14, 12:33:13 AM »
Im looking at the troubleshooting for the application launcher. (it didnt work btw lol) Apparently it only works in IE6...not even in IE7 or firefox. so theres not that much point having it.

billybob884

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • AOL Instant Messenger - billybob884
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007-09-28, 08:12:22 AM »
One thing I've noticed is that whenever you install a new version of it you need to manually uninstall the previous, it doesn't do it for you. Is there a simple fix for this or am I just being picky? ;)
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." :: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: 2007-09-28, 09:36:21 PM »
I'm using the installer provided with Visual Studio.  As far as I can tell, it doesn't support upgrades.

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #11 on: 2007-09-30, 02:42:52 PM »
So, you want to support upgrades.  Just the word makes me shudder ;)

(note to everybody else: I'm an install lackey)
Edward Dassmesser

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: 2007-10-01, 11:13:44 AM »
On the one hand, it's not that critical and is easy to work around, so I don't really care about upgrade ability.  On the other hand, this can't be that complicated.  I don't even have any registered components in my own piece (DirectX and .NET 1.1 might have some registered pieces, but SGDK2 doesn't) so a simple file copy should be all that's necessary to perform an upgrade (assuming the shortcuts are already there and up-to-date).  I could do it in a batch file if I had to, but I guess I just don't know how to integrate that into the same package that performs a new installation (or how to make it ignore the fact that SGDK2 is already installed and just proceed).

billybob884

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • AOL Instant Messenger - billybob884
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007-10-09, 07:29:41 PM »
hah yea don't worry about that small crap, thats just me being lazy  ;)
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." :: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy