Author Topic: Isometric Sample  (Read 4881 times)

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
Isometric Sample
« on: 2007-09-16, 02:34:59 PM »
I posted a sample of an Isometric view game for SGDK2 on the project's downloads page:
http://sourceforge.net/project/platformdownload.php?group_id=152001&sel_platform=4313

What do you folks think?

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • MSN Messenger - marmalade0864@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
Re: Isometric Sample
« Reply #1 on: 2007-09-17, 01:54:06 AM »
I like it, the tiles fit togethor seamlessly, and the solidity is accurate. I that the solidity would stuff up because the top of you would hit the walls, so hitting things from underneath would be inaccurate, but it seems quite nicely done here. Musta taken a while to get the tiles drawn right to fit togethor like that?

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2007-09-17, 05:41:08 AM »
I kind of worked the design out in my head beforehand, knowing how all the solidity would work, so it wasn't too hard.  Actually the more I worked on it, the more graphics I realized I could delete because things were fitting together better than I expected and I didn't need as many graphics to get all the configurations I thought I needed.  For example, notice where the slabs that run across the tops of the pillars intersect to form a junction.  I thought I would need extra graphics to draw the intersection and I drew some, but it turned out that using the existing tiles would cause it to draw exactly correctly because of the way tiles overlapped.  I did have to draw those slabs a number of times, though, because I kept getting one thing a pixel off, and the lines didn't exactly meet how I wanted them to.  But mostly it worked out pretty well without a lot of trial and error.

Try out the map editor and see if you get an idea how the tiles work.  They're kind of defined as columns of frames, and in some cases, pieces that would be hidden by other foreground are left out, and the tile is just a bit way up high, and only the solidity affects the area where you click.  Oh, also, you can change the "ShowFloors" counter to 1 to see the actual shape of the solidity of the floors.

Did you figure out how to get the keys to unlock the door and the chests, and pick up the content of the chests?

The next thing I was thinking about doing was making ramps to allow the player to climb up to the top of the walls, where it would be able to walk on all the wall tops (by deactivating the main layer sprite and activating a foreground layer player sprite, where solidity for walking on the tops of the walls is defined).  But I didn't get around to that.

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • MSN Messenger - marmalade0864@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2007-09-17, 05:45:11 AM »
Did you figure out how to get the keys to unlock the door and the chests, and pick up the content of the chests?
yeah, right ctrl lol =D
The next thing I was thinking about doing was making ramps to allow the player to climb up to the top of the walls, where it would be able to walk on all the wall tops (by deactivating the main layer sprite and activating a foreground layer player sprite, where solidity for walking on the tops of the walls is defined).  But I didn't get around to that.
that would be really cool...

gwal

• Regular
  • Game Progress: Outer Space / Items
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007-09-18, 09:47:24 PM »
Very good! I've been trying to figure out how to do isometric for a while now.

*bed

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2007-09-19, 05:06:17 AM »
Very good! I've been trying to figure out how to do isometric for a while now.

So does this project make sense to you?  Do you see how it works?  Gonna plan to make an isometric game of your own?  One with beds?   ;D

Tanja

• Clever
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007-11-20, 02:48:21 PM »
i like isometric games very much and think it's cool one can make them with sgdk. there's a bunch of new possibilites. despite that i continue on my sidescroller.
i had a year ago the idea of an isometric game in my mind, and had some difficulties to create it with adventure game studio. maybe i should had stick with it, but i lost motivation at some point. it was tricky because it wasn't meant to be used for isometric style, and i had to manage many objects on several layers.

the thing with the ctrl button as the action button was easy, but first i was surprised the door didn't open for me despite i had a key.

SmartBoy16

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
  • Looking for inspiration.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2007-11-21, 08:05:08 AM »
speaking of isometric, i'm trying a new look for my default Basic-3D tiles. when i find the pictures ill let you decide what looks good
Looking to the skies.....