Author Topic: Call for SGDK2 Artwork and Templates  (Read 19104 times)

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • MSN Messenger - marmalade0864@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
Re: Call for SGDK2 Artwork and Templates
« Reply #30 on: 2007-02-13, 12:35:18 AM »
Ok, I just relized how long this was going to take.(putting in a tileset) I thought I could just import tiles using SGDK but the images are too big and they stuff up. Does anyone know a tool that can put it all in a tileset quicker than MS Paint? I'll try tilestudio, although I never liked it I might change my mind if it works out well.

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: 2007-02-13, 06:50:14 AM »
How big are they?  You should be able to import images 256x256 pixels in SGDK2 if you set the zoom level to 1 (actual size).  Also, I just noticed a bug that will cause SGDK2IDE to abort if you click on the import image without dragging, so make sure you drag over the size you want to import instead of just clicking or the IDE will abort.  I fixed it here so the next version will not have that problem.

Otherwise, if your source images are all the right size, you could just use the tileset re-slicer from version 1.x's tools menu.

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: 2007-02-13, 11:08:46 PM »
Tileset re-slicer eh? I've never really used that. (never needed it) that's probably why I forgot about it altogethor. I'll try that.

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: 2007-02-14, 03:12:19 AM »
Whoa! That tileset-slicer thing was great!  :o I tested it on what I have already done and got a tileset really quick.  :) I would suggest having something like that in SGDK2 too.  ;) I should have this all done in a week. I could probably do it all in a day or so, but school just started again and now I have homework.>:(
    PNG has a very small file size doesn't it?  :) At first I thought I didn't save it right when I seen the file size. BMP was 9MB, PNG was 0.1MB!  :D
    I think I've got the landscape finished. I'm still adding more movements to the sprites. (climbing a ladder, jumping.) If someone can think of something to add to it just say so, i want these template graphics to be good.  ;) This is everything I've got so far. http://www.pivothost.org/upload/v2/Jam0864/Jam0864sTemplateGraphicsvtly.zip
    WOW!  :o That's a lot of smilies!
« Last Edit: 2007-02-14, 03:59:00 AM by Jam0864 »

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: 2007-02-14, 06:17:44 AM »
Whoa! That tileset-slicer thing was great!  :o I tested it on what I have already done and got a tileset really quick.  :) I would suggest having something like that in SGDK2 too.  ;)
Remind me later.  The first release is going to be the bare minimum, I think, so people can get a usable/supported release in their hands, then I can start prioritizing what people want next.

PNG has a very small file size doesn't it?  :) At first I thought I didn't save it right when I seen the file size. BMP was 9MB, PNG was 0.1MB!  :D
Yeah, especially when your image is mainly just two colors with large solid areas.

I think I've got the landscape finished. I'm still adding more movements to the sprites. (climbing a ladder, jumping.) If someone can think of something to add to it just say so, i want these template graphics to be good.  ;)
Landscape?  I thought this was just characters.  Oh, but I suppose you'll be including some landscape if you're demonstrating how to use the characters in a game.  Are you going to keep the landscape or export just the characters as I mentioned earlier?

This is everything I've got so far. http://www.pivothost.org/upload/v2/Jam0864/Jam0864sTemplateGraphicsvtly.zip
Wow, from a size that large, I can go down to 25% (horizontally and vertically) and still have a full size sprite.  All the better for nice anti-aliased edges.  (I'm using GIMP... what did you use to set transparency?)

You might want to split the 4 separate characters into 4 separate graphic sheets, unless you think anyone using one character in their project is usually going to want to use all 4.  Either way works, though.  The SGDK2 sprite import wizard will let you import one sprite at a time and re-use the same graphic sheet if it sees that multiple sprites refer to a graphic sheet you've already imported.

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: 2007-02-15, 12:41:20 AM »
I already had some landscape done for my unfinished game Stickmen. So I thought I'd put that in too.

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: 2007-02-16, 10:35:29 PM »
I wanted to test how the graphics looked so far in SGDK2, and I can't figure out how to import a tileset. I've tried right clicking on the tilesets folder and then clicking import from but it only wants .SGDK2 files.

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: 2007-02-17, 01:49:04 PM »
I don't have SGDK2 handy right now, but I think if you open the graphic sheet editor (where you can draw) and look in the file menu, the choice will be apparent.  Er, actually, I think you might want to look in the graphic sheet manager first (where you create a graphic sheet) -- there might be a button there too.  Can't remember.

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: 2007-02-19, 01:48:32 AM »
Yep, that was it, thanks! Graphics are done, I'm making a test project to make sure the graphics look alright. I've already found a couple of things that I didn't do right. The ladder had a row of 1 pixel empty at the top, it didn't tessalate right, same as the bricks. I forgot to add a sky tile to a tileset, the sky ended up black. etc

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: 2007-09-13, 04:29:14 AM »
arg... i lost my sample project... lol? Well i still have the graphics fortunately.

http://www.box.net/shared/j18n8eptz1

Do i need to make a sample project to go with it?

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: 2007-09-13, 05:45:45 AM »
I haven't decided what to do with projects and libraries yet, except the sample libraries that I've already posted, and I'm not sure if everything related to SGDK2 should go in that library.  I may add content to the current sample library, but if I do that, I think it would have to be pretty spectacular, showing off the best of what SGDK2 is capable of (something unique and better than everything else in the library).  So unless you can create graphics of the quality seen from OrionPax (Forest tileset and SHFL), I don't think I have a good place to include your work yet (I might later when I decide what to do with extra contributed content).  But if those sprites can be reduced to about 50% so they're anti-aliased and a sprite definition defined with them, they might be worth including because I don't think I have any really well-animated sprites like that yet.  I can't tell how well animated they are for sure, but they look like they'd be pretty good.  If nobody else takes on that task, I might try making a sprite definition out of them myself.  At the moment, I'm working on a project to demonstrate the ability to do an isometric view (semi-3D).

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: 2007-09-13, 04:03:53 PM »
alright, I shall make them into a sprite. I'm interested to see how they look as a sprite myself actually. All ive ever seen is the animations done seperate, not as an actual game sprite.

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: 2007-09-14, 01:06:56 AM »
alright, I shall make them into a sprite. I'm interested to see how they look as a sprite myself actually. All ive ever seen is the animations done seperate, not as an actual game sprite.
Alright I cant figure out the tile height and width. I divided the width by 10 and hieght by 8 which should work... but it makes some cut off tiles. Am I doing something wrong here?

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: 2007-09-14, 07:11:47 AM »
I didn't have any problems (I reduced the image to 306x450 first to get good anti-aliased images).  See the attachment.  I just noticed you said you divided the width by 10 and the height by 8, but I think you got that backwards.

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: 2007-09-14, 08:24:56 AM »
oh lol. I was kinda in a hurry and musta stuffed up lol. Thanks for including the graphics sheet. Now I just needa put it into a sprite and get the climbing working as well.