Author Topic: The Scrolling Game Development Kit 2  (Read 7312 times)

nicolas2007alcubo

• Visitor
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Scrolling Game Development Kit 2
« on: 2007-10-13, 01:59:18 PM »
Hello!
I'm a new user. My name is Nicolas and I'm from Buenos Aires, Argentina.
I downloaded the Scrolling Game Development Kit 1x and I follow step by step the "Quick Start Tutorial" (The red ball). It worked very fine!!!.
Now I just downloaded The Scrolling Game Development Kit 2, I want to make the same minigame, but I don't understand how to do it with this new version of the program. I'd like that something tell me step by step how to build this "Quick Start Tutorial" with "The Scrolling Game Development Kit 2". I'll be waiting for your help, friends!!!.
Thanks! - Nicolas :) :) :)
nicofuntalas@hotmail.com

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
Re: The Scrolling Game Development Kit 2
« Reply #1 on: 2007-10-13, 02:51:16 PM »
There are a few tutorials already provided with the beta version of SGDK2.  Just go to Help->Contents, then expand "Tutorials" in the list on the left to see the tutorials available.
Edward Dassmesser

nicolas2007alcubo

• Visitor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2007-10-13, 04:11:27 PM »
Thanks for you help, but the tutorial of SGDK2 is complex. I'd like to start learning SGDK2 building the same minigame, descripted in the Quick Start Tutorial in GameDev or Scrolling Game Development Kit. It uses a tileset with 2 tiles: The red circle and the white wall. How can I build the whole minigame using SGDK2?. This new program has another options like Sheets. I imagine that I should to create a Sheet with the two images (The red circle and the wall). What do I have to do later to get the same results that I got with GameDev? (A maze formed with white walls, the red circle is the "main character" that I move with the cursor arrowa. The player is blocked when It collides with the wall)

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • MSN Messenger - marmalade0864@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2007-10-13, 04:59:09 PM »
I fail to see why a topic with the name "The Scrolling Game Development Kit 2" and is talking about SGDK2 would be located in the SGDK1 section...

Anyway,
Read one of the tutorials that come with it so you know how the program works, then maybe try and transfer it over.
Also, its not that hard a tutorial, its well written and goes step by step so its actually very easy.

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2007-10-14, 09:34:07 AM »
(Topic moved to SGDK2 help forum)

I agree; the tutorial included with SGDK2 titled "Functional Game Without Importing" is not that complex.  It may look like a lot, but it's not as bad as it looks -- it's just very detailed.  If you follow this tutorial, you will be familiar with many of SGDK2's features.  You won't always have to use all these features, but you should understand them.  Sometimes it will be easier to add a new sprite definition to your project because you can just import one, but you should also know how to edit/add your own sprite definition, so this tutorial describes the process.  If I wrote a tutorial for moving a red ball through a maze, it might look just as complicated as this tutorial, but the project really isn't that complicated, so I would suggest trying this tutorial and see if you can get through it.

SGDK2 may take some getting used to, but I hope you will see that it has much more power and flexibility.  It will be easy once you are familiar with the parts.  Some things are different, some easier, some harder.  It might be harder to define a new kind of sprite because you have much better control over how it behaves now.  And like I said, some are easier -- you can re-use the same sprite definition on all maps instead of re-creating it for each map.  Also, adding and editing sprites and paths on a map, is much simpler in SGDK2.  I hope you will see this as you walk through the tutorial.

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2007-10-15, 06:15:07 AM »
In "Sprite Definitions" what do I have to do to define the player motion?

Some rules must be added to the sprite definition to tell it how to move.  If you find the right step of the SGDK2 tutorial, you may be able to work it out (but it will be somewhat different because the SGDK2 tutorial uses a rotating sprite so the controls are quite different), but here are a couple quick tips on which rules you'll need to use:

1) MapPlayerToInputs will copy the inputs from a player to the inputs of the sprite.
2) AccelerateByInputs will cause the sprite to accelerate based on the current inputs of the sprite.
3) ReactToSolid will ensure that the planned velocity of the sprite will not allow it to overlap any solid areas of the map. (Note that you also need to select the proper solidity for the sprite in the map editor's Sprites tab.)
4) MoveByVelocity will move the sprite according to its current velocity.

Hope that helps.  Please let me know how this works out for you; SGDK2 is still relatively new and I want to do everything I can to help people looking into SGDK2 to be able to use it easily.  Let me know if you need more help.

nicolas2007alcubo

• Visitor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2007-10-17, 05:14:10 PM »
Thank you!
I'll try with these instructions. I'm wondering how will it work. I'll prove it to know how will it work I think that it's the way to learn :)
Forgive me for my bad English, I'm from Argentina and I don't know English.
What kind of English do you speak?. American or British English?

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • MSN Messenger - marmalade0864@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2007-10-19, 03:49:29 AM »
i speak the Aussie way, possibly the same as the British way... dunno really.

the way where colour is spelt colour, not color.
hmm, need more examples, but cant think...
realise, instead of the American realize. even my firefox spell check is bugging me to spell it American way... lol

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2007-10-20, 11:19:38 AM »
I just spreak and write plain old American English.