Author Topic: Fortress 13 - a Flashback/Another World style game  (Read 9812 times)

KrazyKain

• Visitor
    • View Profile
    • Email
Fortress 13 - a Flashback/Another World style game
« on: 2007-11-02, 02:21:14 AM »
I've been planning this game for ages, even got most of the graphics ready, i was just looking for the perfect IDE to make it in... and not have to pay... SGDK is pretty perfect for my needs so..

Fortress 13 is a game that borrows heavily from FlashBack and Out of this world, 2 amazing action platformers that inspired me in so many ways. In this game you are a captive in a russian fortress called fortress 13, this is basically russias version of Area 51. you dont know or remember much, you are kept under drugs most of the time. one day however the fortress is abandoned, and you (and other prisoners) are left behind.. you will have to escape but as you do so you will learn why the fortress was abondoned, and may consider going back to your cell.. those bars looked pretty solid...

In proper fashion for this kind of game i am using rotoscoping for the graphics, which basically means i film something, then draw over it in every frame to make simple looking graphics, but with perfect animation, heres an example (which may or may not be used in game)

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
Re: Fortress 13 - a Flashback/Another World style game
« Reply #1 on: 2007-11-02, 08:10:36 AM »
Are you looking at SGDK 1.x or SGDK 2, out of curiosity.  All development on the IDE is going towards SGDK2, I think.  No new releases of SGDK1.x unless it turns out the current version erases your hard drive or something.
Edward Dassmesser

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • MSN Messenger - marmalade0864@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2007-11-02, 04:12:30 PM »
looks nice! =D
that character is cool, but i hope you plan on resizing it, as it's a little big atm.

KrazyKain

• Visitor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2007-11-04, 03:31:06 PM »
probably 2 after i experiment with it, i dont know if its 'stable' (beta!) but i announcd here cos the 2 forum looked a bit... well... dead

and yes i will resize it :)

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2007-11-05, 05:49:45 AM »
SGDK2 is in beta, but there are projects being developed with it and most of the issues these days are minor.  And if you do find a problem, I'm actively working on it and can probably give you a fix pretty quickly.  It really would be nice to have more people working on real projects in SGDK2 in order to work out as many problems as possible before calling it the stable release.

As for the forums... someone has to be the first to bring them to life :).  I think we're all reading all the forums, so no matter where you post, the message will get read.

KrazyKain

• Visitor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2007-11-05, 06:04:14 AM »
you can definetly consider this a 'real' project, i'm just trying to figure out SGDK2, but i'm sure i'll end up using that

*edid* oh my mistake, the facility is actually called COMPLEX 13 not fortress 13.. but i think i'll keep the same game name anyway, sounds more.. big.. scary.. somehow...

could imply that its security is like a fortress or something
« Last Edit: 2007-11-05, 06:14:39 AM by KrazyKain »

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • MSN Messenger - marmalade0864@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2007-11-06, 04:50:36 AM »
yeah we all read the forum, just noone usually has stuff/reason to post.... D=
yeah fortress 13 is better. =p

KrazyKain

• Visitor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2007-11-12, 12:02:07 PM »
My apologees go out to anyone interested in the project, and especially the creators of SGDK2, but i have decided to take this project to Blitz3D, as i had already learned the lanaguage by experimenting with the demo, and i have been given blitz3d as a gift. i think i will still keep sgdk2 and use it for some other projects, but as for fortress 13, i'm afraid thats a no. if anyone is still interested in the project i can post a link when i have something to show for it, but i think that wouldnt be very appreciated would it?

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2007-11-12, 04:58:15 PM »
If anyone is still interested in the project i can post a link when i have something to show for it, but i think that wouldnt be very appreciated would it?

It would be fine in the Off Topic section.  Surely there are many people interested in 2D games here that would be interested to see 2D game development from other sources (we're not overwhelmed with conversation here after all ;)).  And I'm not so defensive of SGDK2 that I can't allow discussion of other engines at least in the Off Topic forum.  So feel free to let us know how your progress is going if you happen to think of it.

KrazyKain

• Visitor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2007-11-13, 02:36:13 AM »
ok then, i'll make a new topic there, glad your ok with it :)