Author Topic: Rankings and Avatars  (Read 9333 times)

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
Rankings and Avatars
« on: 2005-03-12, 09:10:15 AM »
Everyone is free to choose an image from the avatar gallery for their avatar.  I have disabled the ability to upload your own, at least for the time being, but if you think you have a good image you would like to be in the gallery, send me a link or image and I will consider adding it to the gallery, even if it's just for you.

There are only two special rankings that might appear below a persons name, and they are only assigned by me (not automatically).  The "Expert" ranking denoted by the word "Expert" and a light bulb below the name indicates someone who has demonstrated thorough technical understanding of the kit and offers quality answers to technical questions about the software.  The "Contributor" ranking is assigned to members who have contributed quality projects, graphics or other content to the community.  Most if not all experts are also contributors, but will only be listed as "Expert".

billybob884

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • AOL Instant Messenger - billybob884
    • View Profile
Re: Rankings and Avatars
« Reply #1 on: 2005-11-28, 01:19:32 PM »
you may want to update this...
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." :: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2005-11-28, 09:07:39 PM »
Well let's see.  What will my new policy be... I have turned off the ability to upload avatars or link to external avatars for most users (I think), but that might change as I explore the abilities of the forums more.  If nobody objects or has a better suggestion, I may just leave it as is.

As for the ranking, there are still "Expert" and "Contributor" rankings, but now you will also be able to distinguish these rankings by the colored stars that appear with the name instead of with the light bulb.  A contributor will have 2 green stars and an expert will have 5 green stars.  A contributor still represents someone who has contributed significant material to the community and an expert still represents someone with a thorough understanding of SGDK.  I may add more rankings later if I find a need to do so.  Experts are allowed to set their own title text (I think).  Not sure what that looks like.  Now, however, there is an additional ranking based on post count.  I estimated some numbers in order to group posters into 3 groups: Visitor, Regular and Fanatic.  So you can have multiple ranks (a contributor and a fanatic, for example).  I'm not even sure if I should do this because it might just serve to invite lots of meaningless posts from people who want to be listed as fanatics, but hopefully it will just be a fun little title to draw a little more interest to this forum system, and to appreciate those who have lots of insight to offer.  There appears to be a karma feature on this forum system, but I have not turned it on because I figure that's primarily useful for systems where there are so many messages you need help sorting out what's worth reading, and I don't think there's much trouble with that on these forums yet.

If anyone has any problems or suggestions about the features available under the new forum system, let me know and I will consider them.  Hopefully you have at least as much freedom as you did before.  Just keep in mind that, in the end, these forums are about promoting and communicating information related to SGDK, and sharing experiences and assistance with the SGDK community.  They're not so much about rankings and popularity (the rankings are meant as a clue to people on who to trust/ask and maybe as a little pat on the back for those who help and contribute)... so far so good.  I'm glad this community has acted quite civilized in general to this point.

GameDeveloper

« Reply #3 on: 2005-11-28, 09:48:22 PM »
I was wondering, are the old avatar pictures going to make a return?  If not, then will there be images in the gallery [which is currently empty]?

If they are there, and I can't see them [or find them], then sorry. :-\

[if this doesn't belong here then I'm sorry]

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2005-11-29, 06:31:58 AM »
Good catch.  I didn't see that the avatars were missing.  I moved them to the proper location so you can pick one now, but unfortunately, that will require that everyone re-select their avatar in its new location, unless pr0c knows how to mass-update the avatar links to the new location.

GameDeveloper

« Reply #5 on: 2005-11-29, 06:48:17 PM »
Thanks for putting them in, I was wondering where they [avatar images] went. :)

billybob884

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • AOL Instant Messenger - billybob884
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005-11-29, 07:11:31 PM »
heh, theyre hiding ;)
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." :: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy