Author Topic: Coming off of Game Maker??  (Read 7166 times)

Ikonz101

• Visitor
    • View Profile
    • Email
Coming off of Game Maker??
« on: 2007-11-27, 10:07:44 PM »
I am new to this program I was messing around with Game Maker 7.0 trying to make a platform game...It worked well but I was leaning more towards a game engine that makes just platform games so I came across The Scrolling Game Development Kit..The question I have is it a easy program to adjust to and will it make better platform games then Game Maker 7.0??

Thank You in Advance
Ikonz101

SmartBoy16

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
  • Looking for inspiration.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Coming off of Game Maker??
« Reply #1 on: 2007-11-27, 11:00:55 PM »
i have never used game maker, but sgdk is very easy to catch on to. once you finish the tutorials, gamemaking on here is a breeze
Looking to the skies.....

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • MSN Messenger - marmalade0864@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2007-11-27, 11:12:28 PM »
i reckon sgdk is much better, but that is why i am here and not on game maker forums, if u asked at game maker forums they would say the exact opposite.

If ur looking for power, sgdk2, if ur looking for ease of use, sgdk1. :D

Tanja

• Clever
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007-11-28, 02:17:54 AM »
a while ago i sought a tool to make 2D sidescroller. i searched trough maybe 8 tools, also gamemaker, but landed here and now i use the sgdk 2.
i like it very much, though it gives me some tough moments ;D
it is very mighty, i dare to say. if you are a little in programming, you will have not so much problems. i can't really script, but here all works pretty well. (because of the construction kit for making scripted behaviours and so on)

one other thing i very appreciate, the creator of sgdk and other helpful guys are almost every day here and answer questions. i was never at the gamemaker community, how is the "support" there?

you can make not just sidescrollers and platformers. there is a project sample for isometric games and another for a tetris clone. a top down perspective for a rpg wouldn't be an expenditure. i think it is very flexible there.

tprime

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2007-11-30, 09:42:59 PM »
I remember when I tried to find a program. A whole lot of them! I kept downloading, deleting, downloading, and deleting. But it was cool when I found SGDK. I tried Game Maker later on, but it was too complex. ???  :)