Author Topic: Codename: IDK  (Read 374881 times)

SmartBoy16

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
  • Looking for inspiration.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Codename: IDK
« Reply #75 on: 2008-09-02, 07:05:36 AM »
i think i rely too much on scripting :-[
Looking to the skies.....

tprime

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: 2008-09-02, 03:04:12 PM »
level 2-1, city theme, how can i temporarly make a tile not solid like as long as i am moving up vertically or gliding and solid again when i am falling or stopping

You can make a global function that is activated when the player pushes up and the player is switched to a tileset category solid witout the ones you don't want solid. [/qoute]

why didn't i think of that!

level 4 boss, BORING boardwalk theme (any ideas?)

Try a new idea, like making it a skateboard level (there will be one featured in my demo [the player basically has 100% inertia and has fast speed]) or you can use one of the ideas in the "clever ideas" topic in the SGDK section of the forum.

actually the skateboard idea is not bad, thanks! :D

(regarding solidity idea) Ideas don't come often. They often come too late.  :educated:  :laugh:
(regarding skateboard) No problem. Feel free to use it anytime.  ;)

(I always wanted to do a quote in a quote in a quote)

SmartBoy16

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Bad backup
« Reply #77 on: 2008-09-05, 07:11:11 AM »
Hey guess what! I updated my computer to Windows Me (even though the OS is bad itself, it supports more graphics cards than 98 does, SGDK is working faster already) in the process though, I had to get rid of one of my hard drives in order to fit it inside the computer, so i decided to move all of the RANAT files from one hard drive to another, only problem was that the Zip program that i was using renamed EVERYTHING into 8.3 format, so the project doesn't work anymore (and worse i already reformatted the other drive) so now i have to get to renaming EVERY SINGLE FILE in the gdp file so i can open the project up again.

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #78 on: 2008-09-05, 07:53:39 AM »
If you want to try something, you could apply a regular expression search and replace to the GDP file which would find all instances of filenames and replace them with with 8.3-formatted files.  This would only work if none of the files had the same name (essentially filena~1.bmp and filena~2.bmp).

Something like: ([^.]{9,})\.(...)
which you would replace with: \1~1.\2

I gotta go now, and haven't tested it... but it might work...
Edward Dassmesser

SmartBoy16

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Level 7
« Reply #79 on: 2008-09-09, 08:31:11 PM »
im kinda working backwards right now and working on the last level, there is one point where you get to upgrade your rockets go as far as you want to. is there a way to keep the rocket turned on while still holding X (for this game). if there isnt ill still use the "Spacebar Cancel" method like all of the other moves.

and i finally fixed my old project! it turnes out that the harddrive was not formatted, but the io.sys file was missing so the disk could not load by itself, and i can still get all of the original files with their long filenames!  :-[

im thinking of posting (yet :crazy:) another Update. this time i redesigned the title screen (not working yet though) and for now im leaving out saving options and using a level selector (Hold Left, right and Space). ill try to remember to put them back on when its done (if they are not, REMIND ME!!!)

and i am going to sell this game for only $1 on a cd. im planning to place a two-level free download online. the game's making better progres now! (apparantly, summers seem to slow things down)

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • MSN Messenger - marmalade0864@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: 2008-09-10, 03:11:52 AM »
it's gonna cost you 1 dollar to make a disc and cover for the game.

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: 2008-09-10, 05:39:19 AM »
Maybe that's the point -- give away the game, charge only for the cost of the materials, and see how people like it?

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: 2008-09-10, 03:48:31 PM »
Then why only offer a trial on the site? D:

SmartBoy16

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: 2008-09-11, 03:58:14 PM »
Then why only offer a trial on the site? D:

actually i kind of never thought that thouroly.  :-[ would two dolars sound beter, or just give the whole thing away?

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #84 on: 2008-09-11, 04:55:30 PM »
You'd very likely get more people playing it if it is free, and more people giving you feedback.  Anything free automatically has the reward of more downloads than even if you're just charging $.01.  The step from $0 to $.01 is an extreme one, while the step from $59.99 to $69.95 is less so.  Especially if it's an unknown quantity: Why spend a dollar on something I know little or nothing about when I could just as easily spend it on candy that I know I'll enjoy?
Edward Dassmesser

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: 2008-09-11, 11:44:55 PM »
i think offer it for a free download on the site, or a dollar or two on a disc. (to cover the cost of making the disc, and cover)
but you made the game, it's your choice.

Tanja

• Clever
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2008-09-12, 05:22:12 AM »
i agree with durnurd, your chances to sell the game are not very high. you can get hundreds and thousands players more with a free game. and - if they like it, they know you and your games better next time - if you want to sell your next game.

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: 2008-09-12, 05:30:37 AM »
From personal experience I can tell you that I've gotten a lot more satisfaction out of the products I've given away than those that I tried to make money from.  I'm no marketing guru, but I don't think I would have enjoyed even the meager audience that SGDK has if I had only given it to paying customers.  The community / discussion for SGDK has been much more rewarding than the ~$100 I got from TechnoVenture registrations over a span of about a decade.  The thrill of seeing a review of your game on another web site where you didn't even submit it means more than a $10 registration fee... at least to me.

Things may be different if you have some keen sense and somehow know that your game will be wildly popular, but that's never been the case for me.  In order for a game to be wildly popular these days it seems like you have to start at the customer end and figure out what's wildly popular and specifically target that rather than creating a game that seems good.  (These days, wildly popular seems like some easily playable and enjoyable game on portable devices like phones.)

tprime

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: 2008-09-13, 02:57:27 PM »
If you do plan to sell, I've came across this site: https://secure.plimus.com/

It probally is better than PayPal, I still have to check it. I plan to use it soon.  :whistle:

SmartBoy16

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: 2008-09-14, 05:21:24 PM »
ive decided to have the first two levels avalable online and sell the full game for $2.50. First, the dollar for the CD, another for the CD Label, and the rest for other programs i may/have/will use to make it (may go up more if it turns out that good). most likely, i will probably ask for check or money order. shipping is free (unless you live in AK or HI or another country).

and i hate allergy season >:( :( :'(