Author Topic: Graphic Errors  (Read 7967 times)

Tanja

• Clever
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
Graphic Errors
« on: 2007-12-27, 11:41:33 AM »
at the moment i am working on another computer. the IDE works fine, but the displaying of the game screen is very ugly.

look at the attached pic. a main error is the displaying of sort of a "tile grid". in the pics with blue background i used tile sizes of 128x128. there are white lines between the single tiles, but only in the background. the foreground layers with the transparent tiles seem to haven't these problems. you can see it in the pics with grey background, too, there i have used 32x32 sized tiles, i think.

the "snowstorm" pic with the red lines is a special thing. i really don't know why the lines are red. this color isn't used in the graphic sheet for the storm. also, they are transparent. but they are displayed as overlay map.

in the two pics with pink arrows occur some lines at the border of the tiles.
other two pics (with the red arrows): here i have attached a screenshot from the frameset for you to compare. the thin white lines should only be white, not big and grey. don't mind the red arrows, i use them as a little help for me only.

i think all of this problems could have to do with antialiasing. may it be a special problem with the hardware or drivers here?
here are some specs:

OpenGL    
Anbieter   Intel
Renderer   Intel 845G
Version   1.3.0 - Build 4.14.10.4020

video adapter:
Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller
installed driver   ialmrnt5 (6.14.10.4020)

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
Re: Graphic Errors
« Reply #1 on: 2007-12-27, 03:17:52 PM »
Yes, I think it's some hardware or driver limitation or bug causing the problem. But maybe you can work around it if you know more about the cause. If you can't work it out yourself, I could look at it if you want to upload it to the support site.  I might have some ideas if I get a look at the whole project.

Tanja

• Clever
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008-01-08, 01:51:38 PM »
hm i could do this but i am afraid you will look at my code for hours and then abandon it frustated.

Tanja

• Clever
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008-01-09, 11:25:06 AM »
it is uploaded. i hope you will find what you are searching for.

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2008-01-09, 09:50:57 PM »
You could have uploaded it to http://sgdk2.enigmadream.net/support/ instead -- much simpler.  But I got it.
What should I do with it -- I don't know how to trigger the snow storm or see the problems?

Tanja

• Clever
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008-01-10, 03:20:35 AM »
when there is no graphical error, your computer is fine. in order to find the error, you should try a few other computers. i played the game on three computers, and on each of them something other occurs. only one shows the heavy display errors seen above.
you trigger the storm when you move a little up und leftwards. the plan is left of the great rock above you. if you don't find it, look at the map "Spiel", layer "SpielerEbene" and here the plan "Schneesturm".

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2008-01-10, 07:00:11 AM »
I only have one computer handy right now, and I don't see any problems running the game here.  It's hard to guess what the cause might be, except to just say it's some driver/hardware issue.  So I guess I don't have any work-around.

(I wonder what would happen if you changed the tileset's tile size to 127 or 129 instead of 128.  Would the gap go away or get bigger?)

Tanja

• Clever
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008-01-10, 08:10:06 AM »
without trying (that computer isn't around) i would say the gap is always one pixel....
because in the grey screens i used 64x64 tiles, and at the colored screens 128x128. i can try another size when you think it could be useful.

Tanja

• Clever
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008-01-13, 05:00:27 PM »
i would be happy when as many people as possible would download the very first version of my game, to see if those mysterious graphic errors occur on their computer.
there is nothing to play, just move around and look for stripes in the background. and wether the ship is moving with constant velocity or behaves strange. you would do me a great favour.  :-*

www.burg-halle.de/~st2210/sgdk/zeppelin.zip

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • MSN Messenger - marmalade0864@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2008-01-13, 08:14:11 PM »
works fine here.