Author Topic: Two Player Script  (Read 15185 times)

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
Re: Two Player Script
« Reply #15 on: 2008-01-14, 05:40:02 PM »
Thanks- So do you still want me to send you a gdp for double jumping?
No thanks... I'm not particularly interested in getting too deep into version 1 at the moment (although someone is in the process of trying to submit to me a version 1 game that is hundreds of MB in size... if the quality measures up to the size, that'd be worth stepping back to version 1 for a bit).  Just hearing your description of the double jump cleverness was interesting, though.

Oh and another thing, that thing you said: double jumping is straight forward in version 2, how do you do that? Maybe I can tweek that too.  :whistle:
In version 2, you could add a sprite parameter called "DoubleJumped" which gets set to zero whenever the sprite is standing on solid ground (there's a rule to check when the sprite is standing on solid ground).  Then you could also add a rule that checks if:
1) The player/sprite is pressing up (initial press only)
2) AND The sprite is moving down (dy>0)
3) AND DoubleJumped=0
Then the rule inside that check could set DoubleJumped to 1 and change the sprite's y velocity (dy) to negative 6 or whatever the jump velocity is.

It's still a few steps, but it's all within the sprite rules, and not spread out through counters and special functions and such... and it's a easier to understand, I think.  It also scales up to working with multiple players easily (automatically) because the sprite parameter automatically exists for each instance of the sprite.

Oh, and don't worry about your "smart" comments; I didn't take them too seriously, so don't take my reply too seriously.  As you can see I even agreed with them. :)  (I don't get offended too easily.)

v6v

• Clever
  • Fanatic
  • Has renamed his project to Galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • My Developer Page!
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: 2008-01-15, 06:28:50 AM »
Oh yeah... sorry about the huge game/ the smallest I can get it to is really 470 MB But If you want a demo for the Sequel (WHICH HAS DOUBLE JUMPING!!!) That's much smaller/52.3 MB/ that'll work?

Simple Math equation: 470>52.3

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: 2008-01-15, 07:08:47 AM »
You can still send the original.  I want to see what makes such a big game :).  Are you still unable to FTP?  What FTP program are you using?  Did you try the simple command line FTP that comes with Windows and verify that you're seeing the same text I showed you?