Author Topic: Fullscreen Mode Problems  (Read 2741 times)

Tanja

• Clever
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
Fullscreen Mode Problems
« on: 2008-01-28, 10:51:05 AM »
now i tried out the fullscreen mode. my game is 800x600x16. the game looks awful when played fullscreen. the graphics have soft gradients, but the fullscreen mode changes them to big full colored lines. i changed my monitor resolution to 800x600, too. the same. i changed the monitor quality from 32 to 16 bit. the same.

it is somehow strange, because the game size in window and fullscreen is the same, but the colors behave not the same. in "ugly" mode, the game runs much faster. here at 80fps, and in windowed mode only with 30fps....

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
Re: Fullscreen Mode Problems
« Reply #1 on: 2008-01-28, 12:50:10 PM »
Full-screen mode doesn't go through the Windows API (as much) to display the graphics.  It uses more of the graphics card's acceleration because nothing else needs to be drawn in the background, which is why you see the increase in speed.

That may be a driver bug or a bad setup in the graphics card, or just a problem with your monitor.  Although you did say you set the resolution of the monitor to 800x600 and didn't see bad coloring... Does the same thing happen on other systems at all?
Edward Dassmesser

Tanja

• Clever
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008-01-28, 01:50:39 PM »
fine, i've got the solution. despite i was setting my monitor to 16 bit (and the game is 16bit), the lines appeared. my fellow student said that's common. some error in interpolation or so. now i've set the game to 24bit, my monitor is 32 bit. no lines. hooray!!

Goowolgo

• Regular
    • AOL Instant Messenger - CaseyAAdams
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2008-01-28, 03:46:59 PM »
I also have some quick questions about the Windowed vs. Fullscreen mode. When I have my game in a window my graphic all have the tiled looking effect, but when I have them in fullsccreen there is no grid atifacts anymore. Would anyone know why?