Author Topic: Mistraal - a game of creation  (Read 8749 times)

Tanja

• Clever
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
Mistraal - a game of creation
« on: 2008-02-13, 10:42:21 AM »
i would like to introduce Mistraal.
sadly i can't let you try it, because some errors prevent it from be played on some computers. but i will investigate on this.
but i'm happy to show you my blog about it: http://mistraal.wordpress.com/
too bad it's actually written in german. and it's not complete. these days i put all the news into it i should have written when i made them.  :laugh:
some day i may translate it, then i'll post it again. But i will show nearly all of my sketches, tilesets, sprites (the zeppelin was modelled in 3D) and so on. i hope you'll come and visit my blog at least for that.
I highly recommend to bookmark the RSS feed.
if you have comments, post them here. since it's a documentation about my working process, i don't think comments at the blog are needed so badly.

Tanja

• Clever
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: Mistraal - a game of creation
« Reply #1 on: 2008-02-21, 01:43:15 PM »
Finally i have finished my blog. I would be glad if you visit it. in case your german isn't so good, you could like the categories "Animationen, Grafiken, Skizzen". (i have animated how i painted the flying rocks from scratch on)
Enjoy!

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2008-02-21, 06:18:40 PM »
Wunderbar!  Will we get to play the actual game?

Tanja

• Clever
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008-02-22, 02:34:49 AM »
i'll keep you up to date  ;D

eric22222

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Eric Online
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2008-02-22, 03:06:13 PM »
For those interested, and not so well versed in German, Google can help you out a bit with their translation. Okay, it's not perfect, but it's better than nothing.

Best of luck with your game, Tanja! Looks like it's going to turn out great!

Tanja

• Clever
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008-02-22, 03:27:14 PM »
well.... i really don't know.... this translated english is so crappy. does anyone understand anything? i am ashamed of that english. on my site. with my name under it.  :hurt:

but thank you very much for your words, eric :-)

Ronan

• Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008-03-03, 11:50:28 PM »
Your tiles look outstanding. You should make a tutorial in your free time!

Have you ever tried applying for a job as a game designer? You have lots of talent.

v6v

• Clever
  • Fanatic
  • Has renamed his project to Galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • My Developer Page!
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2008-03-04, 06:52:02 AM »
You should start submitting graphics!
You're awesome at artistry! :)

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #8 on: 2008-03-04, 10:33:02 AM »
Your tiles look outstanding. You should make a tutorial in your free time!

Have you ever tried applying for a job as a game designer? You have lots of talent.
If by "game designer" you mean somebody who draws the concept art, that's not a bad idea.  The images in the game show a lot of creativity and thoughtfulness.
If, on the other hand, you mean game artist, then it's probably unlikely to happen.  Almost no games released these days from companies that actually charge money are 2D games any more.  Everything is 3D now.  Tile-based games are nearly a thing of the past.  All that's left are browser games and things like Pop Cap.
Edward Dassmesser

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • MSN Messenger - marmalade0864@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2008-03-04, 02:55:09 PM »
even games where the gameplay is 2d, they're made in 3d so they can have some nice pixel shading and stuff. :S

Ronan

• Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008-03-04, 11:11:55 PM »
If by "game designer" you mean somebody who draws the concept art, that's not a bad idea.  The images in the game show a lot of creativity and thoughtfulness.
If, on the other hand, you mean game artist, then it's probably unlikely to happen.  Almost no games released these days from companies that actually charge money are 2D games any more.  Everything is 3D now.  Tile-based games are nearly a thing of the past.  All that's left are browser games and things like Pop Cap.

True, though there are some developers making 2D games for DS and Wiiware, with a lot of the Wiiware developers being indy developers.

Tanja

• Clever
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008-03-05, 06:40:56 AM »
thank you very much.
i am thinking of going someday into cell phone-game production. there are a lot of pixel-based games.
the game industry is attracting me a lot since my earliest games i played. i am also into 3D. but i don't like the general trend to big (> 100) companies and working hard 3 years till the graphics are astonishing, while the gameplay is lame. maybe i can find a little company, where i can work at the concept, drawings, story, surroundings, art...

btw, i looked for Pop Cap, did you mean that game company? they offer a framework, is that something similar to sgdk2?

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #12 on: 2008-03-05, 08:44:04 AM »
I don't know anything much about popcap aside from the fact that they publish fun 2D games that kind of seem like just a mini-game, but can get you entrenched for hours (see: Zuma).  I don't know about any framework they may or may not be using.
Edward Dassmesser