Author Topic: High Tile Count  (Read 2628 times)

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
High Tile Count
« on: 2008-03-05, 01:11:19 PM »
Out of curiosity here, what sort of limit would you suggest be put on the number of tiles displayed on the screen at a time?  I was prototyping something in SGDK2 where I wanted very small tiles and lots of them on the screen at a time, and it caused the system to slow down considerably.  To make sure it wasn't just my calculations that were slowing the system down, I removed all of the calculations, and the system was still running rather slowly (~25 FPS).  So the question is: what would you put as a minimum on tile size?

Also, while working on this, I found that pressing the delete key anywhere in the Tileset editor assumes you want to delete a tile, but if focus is in the Tile Size textboxes, it should instead delete the text.
Edward Dassmesser

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
Re: High Tile Count
« Reply #1 on: 2008-03-05, 05:32:24 PM »
Your guess is better than mine on minimum tile size.  One reason I don't often put arbitrary limits on things is because I don't know what they should be :).

Dang delete key shortcuts.  I have more trouble with delete key menu shortcuts than... than... King Arthur's men have in figuring out their favorite color... er colour, I guess they're British!  No wait, I mean more trouble than they have with the Knights who formerly said "Ni"... AHHHhhhhh.h...h...h!

Edit: BTW, hold on to that project.  I want to see if OpenGL performs better.