basementbiker

• Visitor
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hello
« on: 2008-08-19, 10:11:21 PM »
 :blindfold:
Whats up everyone!
Id like to say gratz on the new version Ben, and I finaly put together a new PC.
Ive been working on my idea fror an MMORPG for a long time, and Id like to do it SGDK style.
Its evolved alot from a simple ultima style RPG to an idea that will focus more on PVP.
I just started to work with version 2 and have been making slow progress.
So far Ive been woking with the tile and map editors, and Im stuck in working out plans.
Ive made some simple flipflop animation in the tileset and asigned a timer but cant agtivate it on the map yet.
Ill be messing with tutorials, and whatever I can find to read for version 2.
Remember PRBMX? , was so easy to make on version 1, and my freinds all loved it.
An MMORPG is going to be alot more work, but now Ive got a sense of what I want to accomplish at least.
 :scared:

Tanja

• Clever
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: 2008-08-20, 02:52:22 AM »
wow, very ambitious. and you already know how to set server structures to let 200 people play their local sgdk-game?

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2008-08-20, 05:32:33 AM »
Let me just warn you, I have seen so many projects much smaller than this completely fade to nothing because they were too ambitious and the ambition just faded away as the project went on.  You might want to work on a project that can show results before reaching the final goal -- for example, get the graphics and sprites complete and make a simpler, smaller RPG or online game before trying to take on an MMORPG.  Maybe the smaller project can evolve into the larger project, but it would be a shame to put in a bunch of work, fade out, and have nothing interesting to show for it.

Glad to see you're back to work with SGDK2, though!

basementbiker

• Visitor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2008-08-20, 04:50:01 PM »
  :whatever:
I got a few things going for me, yes I have made a few different versions of an ultima style rpg with SGDK version 1 already.
The last version had 12 different player classes to chose from graphicly.
But Ive spent 3 years now just developing the structure, and researching ideas for gameplay.
you see, Ive been playing RPG's since the birth of the Comodore Vic 20.
With MMOG's being so new that even now the biggest companies versions are limited by todays technologies, most suffer from huge lags, and some have poor concept aswell.
So my strategy at this point is to get a functional 1-2 player version, then impliment the client/server application.
If I remember correctly there has already been some research done with SGDK v.1 in this area.
SGDK v.2 is more efficient then v.1, I also assume Ben might have some interest in seing this done with SGDK.
Anyway I am not concerned with anyones doubt in my abilities, though I admit I will have much to learn.
Im willing to do whatever it takes to make it work, even if it dosent happen with SGDK it will become a reality.
I like side scrollers, and I can even imagine a side scroller played online with SGDK.
And why not?
  :whistle:

Tanja

• Clever
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008-08-21, 07:39:40 AM »
I have made a few different versions of an ultima style rpg with SGDK version 1 already.
The last version had 12 different player classes to chose from graphicly.

wow, impressive. you must be a good coder. keep us up to date.

basementbiker

• Visitor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2008-08-21, 12:38:49 PM »
Well actualy I am not very good at all, I have some refrence books and at best I would say I have a basic understanding of Visual basic Scripting.
But Im good at solving problems creatively, and I love doing things that make people go wtf howd you do that.
So now with version 2 I will start learning c# wich is so cool to me because I had always thought about learning c++ but then c# came out and  I hesitated till now.
The games I made were real simple and were only used to test some ideas, like I mentioned before I spent a couple years just figuring out how I wanted this game to work.
The main thing I wanted was for it to be simple not bogged down with to many stats or rules, and easy to play without spending hours or days just to get good.
And as I said before based around the Idea of PVP sorta like instead of an rpg with pvp witch is the norm today requireing many more servers to host the different versions of pvp nonpvp pvpe, to have just 1 style of a pvp world rapped in an rpg.
I know Im just 1 guy doing the job of a team of over paid number crunchers and artists but I feel it is my quest to make it happen.

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2008-08-22, 05:37:11 AM »
SGDK v.2 is more efficient then v.1, I also assume Ben might have some interest in seing this done with SGDK.

I'm interested in seeing an RPG in SGDK2; I don't care so much if it's massively multi-player or not.  I would be worried that the game server might not have any place to be hosted, or might be gone someday, and then nobody would be able to play the game any more.  I don't play online games myself.  I think it's more interesting when your gameplay experience doesn't have to depend on the rest of the world and you are the master of your own world :).  I suspect that in MMORPGs, it's very unlikely that you get to be the hero of the game, but in regular RPG's you always play the hero and control the story.

It would be nice to demonstrate the ability of SGDK2 to play online, though.  I would do it with a simpler game, though, not one that relies on a server.

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • MSN Messenger - marmalade0864@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2008-08-22, 06:40:15 AM »
i prefer online games, bots are too stupid majority of the time. Also, if everyone in a team has a microphone, and uses it, and everyone works togethor, it can make the gameplay so much more fun. That's the one thing thats kept me on counter strike so long.

EDIT:// somehow code microphone input into your game if you can, it makes games a lot more interesting for the players.

also, the concept of a sgdk2 mmorpg is cool, but how can u start it up, ppl will join ur server and have noone to play with and leave...

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #8 on: 2008-08-22, 07:22:41 AM »
The use of a microphone in games is hazardous to your health unless you're playing only with people you know.  This is ipso facto not the case with MMORPGs.  XBox Live is a prime example.  Like it is said: Normal Person + Internet Anonymity == Complete Jerk.  Many people are fine, but the few who are not always stand out and ruin nice features like microphones in games.
Edward Dassmesser

Tanja

• Clever
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008-08-22, 01:05:26 PM »
oh really? there are people who would use... a police whistle right into their mic? yeah, i believe that is likely possible.

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • MSN Messenger - marmalade0864@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: 2008-08-22, 05:47:19 PM »
yeh true, there are pricks who abuse the system, but there could be a mute function so you can not hear peoples mic's that you have muted. or maybe you can only hear peoples mic's within a certain radius of you, so you can just run away from them... xD

basementbiker

• Visitor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: 2008-08-22, 08:46:08 PM »
Ive definetly concidered the hero in my idea, and is the basis of my pvp system.
Infact there will be 2 ways to be concidered a hero, 1 is fairly easy and the other very hard.
Both ways will score points and have an effect on the world which is the biggest part of my idea.
Ive also concidered how this game could work exceptionaly well with only 1 person logged in.
Like any rpg there will be monsters, and npc's which depending on which side of the world you reside
can be either freind or foe.
I also understand the need to keep cheating down and I think the shape of the game world will make a difference.
In order to realy beat the game it will take teamwork and after the winning team is awarded victory
the game will reset leaving the score on the website and charecter profile.
So the game will have an ending point like any board game, like chess.
And I think that will keep cheating down as well.
Ive used a headset before playing ghost recon, I think as long as your playing with people you know its safe,
but otherwise I would limit the headset volume just incase. ;)