Author Topic: Google Chrome  (Read 6945 times)

SmartBoy16

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
  • Looking for inspiration.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
Google Chrome
« on: 2009-09-07, 07:04:24 PM »
Have you guys heard about Google's Browser. It is amazing! It is waaaaaay faster than IE or FireFox, and it uses less memory! details here http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/index.html
Looking to the skies.....

TheLaw

• Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Google Chrome
« Reply #1 on: 2009-09-07, 07:27:00 PM »
Yeah, Chrome is great! I was stuck on opera for years, then I found Chrome about 6 months ago. It does seem to be way faster. My GF won't go on FaceBook without it! There are but few rendering glitches here and there, but most everything works great.

Some people complain that there are no toolbars and other add-ons, but myself, I find that to be it's best feature. You don't get crap taking up half your screen and ram. It's fast, simple and clean. (*for anyone trying to maintain a clean and fast system, be sure to disable "GoogleUpdate" in your startup after installing...you can easily update manually by clicking the wrench and "about" )

Also look for their forthcoming Operating System... The "goog" has been busy!
I fought the law and TheLaw won...!

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • MSN Messenger - marmalade0864@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2009-09-07, 11:18:05 PM »
Not big on it. Fast and all, but I need my(firefox)web developer addons.

Tanja

• Clever
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009-09-08, 12:57:28 AM »
*shudder* i knew there are people who use google's spyware of their own will, but install an OS by Google?? (i can't find a smiley which expresses my shock about that)

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2009-09-08, 05:19:21 AM »
Google?  Spyware?  Impossible... Spyware=evil, Google's unofficial motto is "Don't be evil".  Have they lost it?  Sure the Google toolbars are more bloated than I care for so I don't install them, but just look at Chrome.  It's by far the cleanest most minimal browser I've ever seen.  You'd have to have a lot of evidence to convince me that an OS from Google would be bloated and evil.  I use Chrome on all the systems I've gotten since Chrome was released.

TheLaw

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009-09-08, 06:32:19 AM »
@Tanja: Humm, Nah, I doubt Chrome is doing anything out of the ordinary. It's open source, so it'd be kinda hard for the goog to hide any cruel intentions. "Incognito" mode is something I've been using more and more lately though. I've read the back-and-forth about chrome being spyware, and neither side was able to prove anything.

Chrome is not for everyone but I read that one of their design goals was to have the user forget they are using a browser. I believe they've achieved just that. Besides, the best Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware/Safe Browser is the one between your ears!

tprime

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2009-09-08, 11:16:14 AM »
It sort of messed up for me. It wouldn't open up certain pages. But that would've been when my internet cut off on me. My friend suggested me Firefox, so that is my current browser.

SmartBoy16

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2009-09-08, 12:03:56 PM »
The only things i would like to have added are an RSS feed and the ability to change the colors. otherwise, its the best ever! ;D

TheLaw

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009-09-08, 03:04:30 PM »
@SmartBoy: Yeah I miss RSS too. But since loosing that feature in my browser I've made friends with google reader:  https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?hl=en&nui=1&service=reader&continue=http://www.google.com/reader/
Of course you need a free account, but it's pretty easy to learn and quite full featured. I still miss opera's rss reader tho.

As far as changing colors goes, have a look at:
http://www.mychromeaddons.com/tag/google-chrome-skins/

I've never tried any of that stuff 'cause I love Chrome just the way it is, but some of those skins and add ons do seem ok...
I wouldn't mind hearing back about how the skins and addons install and behave too.

Good luck!

SmartBoy16

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2009-09-08, 04:05:47 PM »
the feeds work fine!

but I think the themes the are from that site seem to be...over doing it. a simple color change is just fine for me.

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: 2009-09-09, 12:01:02 AM »
Yeh google does use 'spyware' in their browser, not harmful, but it grabs history from the browser and submits it to their servers. (try doing some random things, then go to youtube, stuff related to the stuff you just did will mysteriously appear in the youtube recommendations.)

SmartBoy16

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: 2009-09-09, 07:59:02 AM »
actually, this only happens when you have a youtube account, and youtube gets the information, not google

TheLaw

• Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Google Chrome + More speed!
« Reply #12 on: 2009-09-09, 01:24:41 PM »
...Oh, and for an extra speed boost try:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/CPU-Tweak/Mz-Cpu-Accelerator.shtml

My computer is starting to show it's age, so I found this handy app. It makes a pretty major difference for me anyway.

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: 2009-09-10, 12:00:39 AM »
actually, this only happens when you have a youtube account, and youtube gets the information, not google
I meant when you surf outside of youtube, it appears in youtube recommended list.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/CPU-Tweak/Mz-Cpu-Accelerator.shtml
Will only really make a difference if you're at pentium 4 era or before. CPU's are overpowered compared to rest of the system in recent days...

TheLaw

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009-09-10, 09:52:20 AM »
Will only really make a difference if you're at pentium 4 era or before. CPU's are overpowered compared to rest of the system in recent days...

I quite agree with you Jam, but I wouldn't let that discourage anyone from at least trying it out. I've put it on fairly powerful new machines for people and they notice a speed boost too. After all it's just raising the priority of the current application from the usual 'normal' to 'high' (or optionally realtime if you want). It's great for any power users who may still have some work to do while a virus scan or something is running.  With it I find I can still browse the web at full speed while something CPU hungry works in the background. Doesn't accomplish so much if your a one app at a time kinda guy though. Have a look-see. It's not some gimmicky over clocking utility.

As for the mysterious youtube recommendations, I can't get it to work on my chrome. Anyone else?