Author Topic: SGDK2 - Working wiith a team  (Read 13768 times)

v6v

• Clever
  • Fanatic
  • Has renamed his project to Galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • My Developer Page!
    • Email
Re: SGDK2 - Working wiith a team
« Reply #30 on: 2009-08-24, 03:58:01 PM »
OK i havent been here for decades, someonev411 me, sorry law for not being here

TheLaw

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2009-09-07, 10:41:30 AM »
LOL Pizzaman. No big - I haven't been around as much either!
Yeah, bluemonkmn, I still have SGDK2 on my computer, but my current project has evolved into something rather ...demanding (and 3D!)! So, while I still talk highly of SGDK and do plan to still write a game with it, this project is being developed with a commercial 3D IDE. (

...If anyone would be willing to donate some 3D modeling/animating talent, I'd sure appreciate it! (I suck!)

Thanks,
Lawrence

I fought the law and TheLaw won...!

Rubix Cube

• Regular
  • Christmas is soon. Don't get stressed out, ok?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2009-09-09, 01:26:54 AM »
Ever heard of a freeware program called 'Anim8or'? It does 3D modeling, animation, has a large community, and its easy to use. You might be able to make something good with it. Or maybe find someone there that would be interested in your project.

Can you tell us anything about the game you're making? Or is it still too early to say?
I've made more new graphics for the Remository. Check 'em out, you may like them.

Need a new life?
http://www.harvest.org/crusades/events/archives.htm

TheLaw

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2009-09-09, 12:06:46 PM »
Yeah, I had a go at Anim8or... Thing is I'm the only programmer on the team, and I've got too darn much work to do to spend time learning about 3D modeling and animating.  (plus all the training in the world won't change the fact that I don't enjoy it and suck badly at it!!!)

Briefly:
   Our game is a 2D RPG game. The game world will be navigated via the traditional overhead view. Then for fights, caves and towns, we're switching to side view and running a live action battle system. We have a great writer on board who has a giant awesome story to enjoy. It was because of the view switching that the decision was made to build the game with a 3D engine. This way we can model our characters once and change views all we want. As for the leveling up system, we're stealing one from the pages of Elder Scrolls, where everything you can do is governed by a skill. So, if you wanna be able to jump higher, you just need to practice by jumping around everywhere you go, and you'll get better in time. We do have all the details fleshed out and I've documented them and made a to-do list as well, so we're good to go!

Thanks, Rubix Cube, I'll head on over there and bug those Anim8or guys for some help! I'm sorry to bluemonkmn and everyone here for being off topic and needy here.  And like I said, I'm not ditching or dissing SGDK, in fact I'm very fond of it, just it's not well suited for this particular project (ie the view changes).
I fought the law and TheLaw won...!