Author Topic: Google Chrome OS? Good idea?  (Read 4444 times)

SmartBoy16

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
  • Looking for inspiration.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
Google Chrome OS? Good idea?
« on: 2009-11-20, 10:48:14 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QRO3gKj3qw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANMrzw7JFzA

Google is now designing an OS based on their browser. Basically, what happens, is you press the power button, and you are on the internet in seconds!

what do you guys think?

EDIT: 500th post!!!

and nothing is stored on the computer, it's 100% internet!!!
Looking to the skies.....

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • MSN Messenger - marmalade0864@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
Re: Google Chrome OS? Good idea?
« Reply #1 on: 2009-11-21, 01:00:03 AM »
Don't like.

It's basically an OS for netbooks, intended for a secondary computer just for web browsing on the go.

SmartBoy16

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
  • Looking for inspiration.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2009-11-21, 02:25:21 AM »
i agree.
Looking to the skies.....

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #3 on: 2009-11-21, 07:45:56 AM »
I think it's brilliant... If you trust the internet. You can use "your" computer from anywhere in the world, and don't need to worry about broken computers, upgrading hardware, backing up data, or viruses, much the same way we no longer have to worry about prioritizing all of the tasks our computer will run for the next 36 hours. It's removing the part about computers that everybody hates to deal with and leaves just the interface and experience.

With google running it, it makes the most sense. They're the ones who have been moving the desktop to the web for years now, with their google docs, etc. We've also seen other things moving web-based as well, for example the image and audio editors somebody had posted a link to not long ago. Some very surprising things are also making it online.  I played a full 3d game in the browser not too long ago. (Lego star wars.  Check out starwars.lego.com).

But then, you lose a lot of control over your computer.  There are many things you will not be able to do, that you can do now.  However the bug question is: do you care?  How many of the things you are losing can you live without, or can you replicate those things online.  In most cases, I would go for it.

Then again, if you are paranoid and think the government is watching you, it may not be for you. But if they really wanted to watch you, I don't think they'd let trivialities like not being online stop them.
Edward Dassmesser

TheLaw

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-11-21, 07:48:39 AM »
If not a good idea - it's a fresh idea! I can't find anything to hate about it. I'd have to wait for a desktop edition before I can get excited though.
The fact that it's free helps!
Should do well - but only as well as NetBooks... ;)

It's an interesting start for the goog though - in their quest for world domination! ..Fire the "laser"   ???
I fought the law and TheLaw won...!

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #5 on: 2009-11-21, 07:53:31 AM »
 There won't be a desktop edition, really.  The whole point is that it's not for your standard desktop pc. It's only for computers that meet requirements set by google, i.e. does not have a hard drive.
Edward Dassmesser

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • MSN Messenger - marmalade0864@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2009-11-21, 04:04:53 PM »
But then, you lose a lot of control over your computer.  There are many things you will not be able to do, that you can do now.  However the bug question is: do you care?  How many of the things you are losing can you live without, or can you replicate those things online.  In most cases, I would go for it.
That is the entire problem.

I can see how this would be perfect for a lot of people, but I would hate it.

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2009-11-22, 08:00:17 AM »
It may not be so much for young geeks who want the freedom and control to do whatever they want with their super-system :).  But for aging geeks like myself who don't have time to fiddle with nonsense problems that crop up any more, and just need to get stuff done (preferably simply and cost-effectively), it could come in handy.  The Age of Good Enough is upon us.

But choosing to use this isn't even necessarily giving up your desktop system.  Based on the comments above, my understanding is that it's designed to enhance the other systems you have with the power of something like a desktop accessed remotely, not to replace your primary desktop.  Is that right?

dutch_619

• Regular
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2009-11-23, 02:07:08 PM »
I ran it in a virtual machine and played with it some. It's not very usable at present, the windowing system is wonky, there is no ACPI management in place. It's an interesting idea however.

I do worry about the SSI issue (single sign-in). Basically your login allows access to ALL of your files on the cloud. I'd like to see it implement a hardware key or bio-mimetics requirement as an option. Even using a usb drive with a hashed key for verification would be acceptable for me.