Author Topic: Microsoft Advertising Mono  (Read 2868 times)

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
Microsoft Advertising Mono
« on: 2010-03-31, 05:34:58 AM »
I just got an email from Microsoft about the new Visual Studio 2010 launch among other things.  Also in the email was an article about Mono.  I think some people find it hard to believe that Microsoft supports the cross-platform implementation of the .NET framework, but here it is.  Microsoft actually does support Mono.  This is from the email:

The Mono Project
Mono is a free and open-source implementation of .NET that runs on Windows, UNIX, and Mac OS. In more than 5 years since the first version of Mono was released, the Mono project has continued to add support for new functionality, such as C# 3.0, LINQ, and Silverlight, and has continued to see adoption. Come hear about the latest developments and future plans from the founder of the Mono project.

They don't go as far as to mention Linux, but they do mention Unix.  I'm surprised to hear that Mono supports Silverlight (!?).

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • MSN Messenger - marmalade0864@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
Re: Microsoft Advertising Mono
« Reply #1 on: 2010-03-31, 06:05:27 AM »
This is surprising... most companies send cease and desist letters to whoever helps support their product.

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
Re: Microsoft Advertising Mono
« Reply #2 on: 2010-03-31, 07:41:43 AM »
Well, since .NET is supposed to be an open platform, where anybody can make an implementation (exactly as Mono has done) it makes sense that they don't try to stop them at the very least.

Did you know that they've developed a sdk called MonoTouch, where you can develop iPhone apps using the .NET framework!?
Edward Dassmesser