Author Topic: The RANAT Foundation: Before the Truth  (Read 8244 times)

SmartBoy16

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
  • Looking for inspiration.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
The RANAT Foundation: Before the Truth
« on: 2010-05-25, 03:11:24 AM »
Yes, I am back! I've been pretty much caught up with a lot of homework, so I haven't been able to do too much, but I have finally decided to go ahead and restart on my game after a year-long hiatus.

I'm planning on doing a few changes to the way I will work on this.

• Starting about June, 1, I get a 2 week break from college, so this will give me some time to start on the project.
  • After that, I will try my best to update every two weeks.
  • I will be writing all 4 levels out on paper first before doing any work on the computer. I also reduced the number of levels so I can finish it faster. (They still will be in 2 parts and the Boss)
  • I am also completely redesigning Basic3D for easier level editing. The current one requires 3 layers to work and it takes waaay too much time to edit and switching layers is a pain, even with the script. The new model will only need 1 layer. It will also be easier to change the design.

I want to be able to finish this in at my own pace, so I won't set a release date...yet. Hopefully I can get it done before I graduate (for my portfolio).

I'll keep posting as I get stuff done!
Looking to the skies.....

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
Re: The RANAT Foundation: Before the Truth
« Reply #1 on: 2010-05-25, 04:46:11 AM »
Are you still stuck back on version 1?

SmartBoy16

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2010-05-25, 05:30:59 AM »
Yes, I decided I wanted to use SGDK1 because I know that better than SGDK2. I kinda feel bad that I have put this off for so long, so I want it to get done quickly. Maybe when I get a little more time, I'll port this game to SGDK2 or XBLA.

SmartBoy16

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2010-06-04, 10:07:38 PM »
Ok guys, I am having a few outside issues to deal with before I can start working on this, so I will uploading my first scans by next Saturday for sure!

SmartBoy16

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2010-06-06, 08:50:11 PM »
Alrighty, I am (officially) back with a few question!!! *insert fanfare here*

Ok, so, there is a certain way that I want to handle control here. I want it to be able to be played on a Gamepad and I am having a few issuses on how Buttons are detected.

Basically, I want the game to be able to determine whether a certain button is being pressed or not being pressed. (Similar to VC#'s KeyUp, KeyDown)

As I noticed that the basic functions can only tell when a key is just pressed once, I decided to use the dreaded helpful scripting to accomplish this. So far: i came up with this code:

Code: [Select]

Dim Btn1, Btn2, Btn3, Btn4
Dim DirU, DirD, DirL, DirR

Sub Player_OnBeforeMoveSprite()
ProjectObj.GamePlayer.PollJoystick 0
If ProjectObj.GamePlayer.JoyButton1 = True Then
Btn1 = True
ProjectObj.GamePlayer.InvQuantityOwned(0) = 2
Else
Btn1 = False
ProjectObj.GamePlayer.InvQuantityOwned(0) = 1
End If
End Sub

And so far, as many of you probably guessed, nothing showed up. Am I doing this right, or is there a better way of doing this?

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2010-06-06, 08:56:39 PM »
Honestly, although you may see a benefit in using SGDK 1.x because you have already learned it, the drawback is that you're probably going to have a lot more trouble getting support for it these days than for SGDK2.  You might want to take that into consideration in choosing the version of SGDK that you're using too.

That said, I don't see any obvious problems with the code unless you forgot to make sure that player events are hooked up to the event handlers.  Did you run any kind of basic test to at least make sure that Player_OnBeforeMoveSprite is being called?