Author Topic: Help isn't working ??  (Read 2452 times)

SPYmaps

• Visitor
    • View Profile
    • SPYmaps - SP-leveldesign
    • Email
Help isn't working ??
« on: 2010-12-02, 08:47:01 AM »
hello,

my name is Leon (aka SPYmaps) and i just have started using the sidescroller engine 2.0 and i will be here on this forum from now on from time to time.
hopefully i can show in not to much time a nice decent game, i am trying to make a topdown shooter like the old game Raptor, or DemonStar, etc.

my first problem that i am having is that i can't use the tutorials in the Help section.
ofcourse can i find them to on line, buit it works easier when i can find them in Help,
at the right side it says as error message that it can't find the website.
do i need to change a setting or is there something else wrong.

other then that i dont have any troubles with running the engine 2.0.
i use windows 7 and it works great so far.

leon
I LOVE SP-MAPPING, (check my site for sp-mappacks, sp-mods, movies of them etc.)

SmartBoy16

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
  • Looking for inspiration.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Help isn't working ??
« Reply #1 on: 2010-12-02, 09:52:27 AM »
Have you tried using 2.1.7? This has been confirmed to work well with Windows 7 compared to 2.0 where Vista was just released.

And to use the help file, you need to open the folder that SGDK was installed in and right click the .chm file, hit properties, then at the bottom of the window click "unbock". It should work fine after that.
Looking to the skies.....

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2010-12-03, 06:20:56 AM »
Sorry, I don't know how to deal better with downloaded content.  But you have to find the help file in Windows Explorer, right-click on it, select Properties, and then click the "Un-block" button (as SmartBoy16 says).  Windows blocks some downloaded files from functioning unless you un-block them.  I think this answer is in some other post on these forums too, but this article from Microsoft mentions the same thing: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902225

SPYmaps

• Visitor
    • View Profile
    • SPYmaps - SP-leveldesign
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2010-12-04, 06:41:02 AM »
hee, i didn't get a email that there was added a new comment here and i thought i had my setting here so that i receeve
amail when a comment was added. maybe i am wrong, i will check if this is the case.

now about the problem, i just had started to explain here that i couldn't find a .CHM file in my folder where i installed the engine,
but that i could find .chw file and then i noticed a file called SGDK2Help, what is a Compiled HTML Help file.
hee, that is .chm.
ones i did found it i easely could make it work through the info you both gave me.
thanks, it works now. this is way easier as clicking back and forth between the engine and the tut site.
by the way, i do use 2.1.7. thought it was best to start right away with the newest version.

thansk,

leon

edit;
have found the Notify button, sorry i didn't realise this before.
problem solved too ;D
« Last Edit: 2010-12-04, 06:52:12 AM by SPYmaps »
I LOVE SP-MAPPING, (check my site for sp-mappacks, sp-mods, movies of them etc.)