Author Topic: SGDK2 Joomla site user unfriendly  (Read 6195 times)

Wyzemann

• Regular
    • View Profile
SGDK2 Joomla site user unfriendly
« on: 2011-02-14, 03:15:01 PM »
Just to let you know, the design of the project website for SGDK is not intuitive to navigate.

You have a news page as front page. I expected there to be a link there, but did not expect it to be a button. Took a while before clicked on the button to find the location of the files.

I Recommend inserting a text based hyperlink, or putting buttons underneath the banner if possible.

Home button goes to project site, but not to the sourceforge site where I came from. Had to click "back" 10 times to get back. Recommend inserting link to both pages as part of the template.

Thought this could be helpful information.

Chris

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
Re: SGDK2 Joomla site user unfriendly
« Reply #1 on: 2011-02-14, 06:02:17 PM »
Did you expect the Home button from sgdk2.enigmadream.com to go to the homepage for sgdk2.sf.net?

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #2 on: 2011-02-15, 11:01:18 AM »
I've sort of gotten used to how the site works, but I do remember having trouble originally with navigating the site.  I only just now saw that clicking on the banner goes back to sgdk2.sf.net.  I didn't even realize there was any way to get back there from the Joomla site at all.

Speaking of which, is there any way to get back to the sf site from this forum?
Edward Dassmesser

Wyzemann

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-02-15, 03:56:56 PM »
I didn't expect the home page to go back to the SGDK site, at least if I remember right. I just reported based on my first impressions of the site. I should have thought to click on the banner, but I did not. I remember that I had to think it through to find the content, and it took several visits before I figured it out.

Chris

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2011-02-15, 05:48:59 PM »
So there are only 2 buttons to navigate the initial page.  How can I make it clearer?  Move them?

tprime

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2011-02-16, 07:21:41 PM »
Speaking of which, is there any way to get back to the sf site from this forum?

Durnurd, I thought I was the only one that noticed that.  :)

Wyzemann

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-02-16, 08:26:09 PM »
That is an interesting question because it regards intuition of use.
I think the biggest issue is that you have the Joomla banner at the top, followed by the navigation buttons. I see the SGDK banner and automatically I assume that content is relevant to SGDK where the other content (at the top of the page including the buttons) belongs to Joomla.

I think you should replace the Joomla banner with the SGDK banner, then remove the SGDK banner below the buttons. That should make the buttons stand out better.

Perhaps the style of the buttons add to the effect. They are light like the background. Maybe make them darker. Again, this is an intuitive thing and there could be a better way to do this.

Another thing may be to have two buttons, one "home" button, and a second "projects home" button in the template. Clicking the banner would have been more intuitive it was at the top instead of under the Joomla banner, so creating an extra button may not be necessary.

At first glance I actually expected there to be a text link (regular blue hyperlink) in the text of one of the articles that would take me to the files. In fact I went to the second page looking for this. Perhaps you can just put one inline with the text and it will probably solve the problem without changing anything else.

Chris

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2011-02-17, 06:23:25 AM »
I guess it would make sense to make the article -- the focus of attention -- include some indication of what the site is and how to use it.  I guess it already does and I just need to add that bit of information.  I'll try that when I have a moment.  Don't know why it seems I have no time these days.