Author Topic: An idea for a new console  (Read 5208 times)

SmartBoy16

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
  • Looking for inspiration.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
An idea for a new console
« on: 2011-06-30, 08:21:17 AM »
With the announcement of the Wii U and it going to HD, this made me think about the fact that all 8th generation systems will be in HD which will be more expensive to produce leaving smaller companies little chance of getting noticed in the home console department. One idea that I have is there should be a least 1 SD console in the market that game companies and consumers can afford. In the 7th generation, the PS2 was still popular enough to do this as well as the Wii wasn't in HD. What do you guys think?
Looking to the skies.....

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
Re: An idea for a new console
« Reply #1 on: 2011-07-01, 04:38:31 AM »
I don't think producing games for an HD console is necessarily more expensive that producing games for an SD console.  Look at all the PS 1 games that were re-released on the PS3 with little to no modification.  You can still make the same kind of games as before, your options are just expanded to support higher resolution graphics if you like.  The competition might be more fierce, though, with HD games getting more of the market than the games that don't have such flashy graphics.  But having a console dedicated to SD won't eliminate the HD competition, it will just limit what the developers (small and large) can do on *that* console.

SmartBoy16

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
  • Looking for inspiration.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: An idea for a new console
« Reply #2 on: 2011-07-01, 10:56:16 AM »
I guess you're right about that.
Looking to the skies.....