Author Topic: Exposed Code  (Read 3260 times)

v6v

• Clever
  • Fanatic
  • Has renamed his project to Galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • My Developer Page!
    • Email
Exposed Code
« on: 2012-02-23, 03:27:23 PM »
I've made games with HTML5 before, and the issue I had was usually that my code was exposed- I had issues where someone would copy the code directly, change things around, even to the extent of removing my name from the game.

I'm wary of testing my game in HTML5. I know that users will always be able to read the code, as it will always be exposed, but I would really love to know, how difficult would it be exactly with the HTML5 implementation of SGDK2?
In the past, I would use document.write(unescape('%3C%62%6C%6F%6F%68%62%6C%61%68%3E')); or simply keep the important code within a PHP, or Ruby .erb files for games and applications that use server calls.

I'm not interested mainly in the fact that a user could copy my game, I'm more concerned how easy it would be for them to change around certain items (Names, Items Graphics) and re-distribute it as their own..

Thanks.

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
Re: Exposed Code
« Reply #1 on: 2012-02-24, 08:12:24 AM »
I always used to worry about those things, but as time passed, I attributed those worries to paranoia.  Since working on SGDK (entirely open source) I have not noticed any other copies of SGDK2 floating around, and that would even be *legal* to change and re-distribute SGDK2.

But you say that's actually happened to you?

Well, the first thing that comes to mind in SGDK2 is that you could write a custom javascript function in the SourceCode folder that pings the server for sensitive information rather than having it encoded into your project's code.