Author Topic: Idea for SGDK2  (Read 6949 times)

v6v

• Clever
  • Fanatic
  • Has renamed his project to Galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • My Developer Page!
    • Email
Idea for SGDK2
« on: 2012-06-08, 06:12:57 PM »

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
Re: Idea for SGDK2
« Reply #1 on: 2012-06-09, 05:42:21 AM »
After reading 1/2 of the first real paragraph I thought "this is my lifelong goal, and I think where game development and programming in general is eventually headed, and I wish I could help figure out how to get it there." But after reading the whole real paragraph, my thought was, "yeah, but this isn't realistic *now* -- IBM needs to develop their AI technologies a great deal before this kind of thing is possible." So I grew suspicious and looked for the date of the article. And indeed the date confirmed my suspicions. So yeah, I think this could be done by next year on that date :).

v6v

• Clever
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • My Developer Page!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2012-06-09, 09:54:10 AM »
It'd be nice though, but it would kill the game development industry. :(

But at least we can dream!

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2012-06-09, 11:44:08 AM »
I don't think it would kill the industry, I think it would revolutionize it. Right now the industry is all about technical wizardry; how many polys you can push to the screen, but everyone's making the same kind of game. Maybe if they stopped focusing on what they *can* do, people will start focusing on what they *should* do and what's actually fun. If anybody can whip on an MMORPG or an FPS, then the gaming industry leaders will have to really do something different to make their games stand out.  Technology like this would probably be limited (to start) to making games similar to existing games. It would be great to make that pointless so that people who are making and selling new games really have to do something different if they don't want people to be able to describe it and "get" it for free. It might also make people appreciate fine game design, if they can have any game they want, they will maybe start to care more about what makes games better than automatically cranked out content similar to everything else that's already available.

v6v

• Clever
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • My Developer Page!
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2012-06-09, 01:25:53 PM »
I don't think it would kill the industry, I think it would revolutionize it. Right now the industry is all about technical wizardry; how many polys you can push to the screen, but everyone's making the same kind of game. Maybe if they stopped focusing on what they *can* do, people will start focusing on what they *should* do and what's actually fun. If anybody can whip on an MMORPG or an FPS, then the gaming industry leaders will have to really do something different to make their games stand out.  Technology like this would probably be limited (to start) to making games similar to existing games. It would be great to make that pointless so that people who are making and selling new games really have to do something different if they don't want people to be able to describe it and "get" it for free. It might also make people appreciate fine game design, if they can have any game they want, they will maybe start to care more about what makes games better than automatically cranked out content similar to everything else that's already available.

It might finally force game companies to step up the technology aspect towards virtual reality. We've dreamed about that almost as long as mankind has dreamed about the power of flight.

cello95

« Reply #5 on: 2012-08-23, 03:35:35 PM »
Holy crap! I'd lose all my prestige at school if that became real! NO!!!!!!!  :death:  :o :( >:( :nerd: :hurt:  :educated: :vomit: :tired: :no:

tprime

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2012-08-24, 05:41:04 PM »
Mixed feelings regarding this.   :yes:  :no: