Author Topic: Sound Compression  (Read 3209 times)

v6v

• Clever
  • Fanatic
  • Has renamed his project to Galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • My Developer Page!
    • Email
Sound Compression
« on: 2012-06-26, 10:20:21 PM »
Another thread started about trying to do something in my game!.  :canadian:

I'm trying to use voice overs in my game.

Currently I'm using the standard FmoDEX system, but I'm worried about sound compression.

I need to keep the game at a small size, so I considered the Vorbis OGG format. But I'm still not sure if it will come out crystal clear (At times you hear the crackling sounds)
WAV files are out of the question. MP3's are moderately medium. But they accumulate.

Is there a good format that compromises size and quality? I'm going to try to do a good amount of these myself- it's a good conversation starter at parties to be able to mimic any voice.  ;)
« Last Edit: 2012-06-26, 10:42:32 PM by #Sharp »

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
Re: Sound Compression
« Reply #1 on: 2012-06-27, 05:46:54 AM »
You might want to see if Speex or Codec2 could be applied to your project. Or look into .NET speech synthesis.

v6v

• Clever
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • My Developer Page!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2012-06-27, 02:17:36 PM »
Speex seems to be the most appopriate because it caters to only human voice frequencies, but I can't find a proper decoder that runs alongside my C# code, my goal would be to have the source files in memory, and then decoded into wav files usable in Fmod, without having to create any temporary files to do so.

Right now, I see support for OGG Vorbis in fmod... I'm scratching my head, and I'm not sure if I should really just stick with OGG.... agh, frustrations.

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2012-06-27, 03:59:57 PM »
Speex claims that "it may be used with the Ogg container format." Does that not mean you can simply play it with any Ogg player such as FMODEx? (I don't know what it means.)

v6v

• Clever
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • My Developer Page!
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2012-06-27, 05:14:38 PM »
:D

The search begins to find a program that can convert to the .OGG format with the Speex codec. Speex can take spx and ogg... But oxeleon media converter doesn't seem to support SPX or OGG with the Speex codec.