Author Topic: HTML5 TechnoVenture  (Read 9466 times)

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
HTML5 TechnoVenture
« on: 2012-06-02, 11:25:47 PM »
Since I had this laying around and I wasn't doing anything with it, I thought I'd share it.  It's a port of the TechoVenture project that runs on HTML5. This is just a prototype, with pieces to show off the various functions. Dying is not implemented at the moment though.

http://sgdk2.enigmadream.com/index.php/projects/viewdownload/1-samples/29-tvsgdk2html5
Edward Dassmesser

v6v

• Clever
  • Fanatic
  • Has renamed his project to Galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • My Developer Page!
    • Email
Re: HTML5 TechnoVenture
« Reply #1 on: 2012-06-03, 09:15:21 AM »
It lags quite a bit, but besides that it's wonderful, have any plans for hosting it online?

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2012-06-03, 06:02:54 PM »
Lags? I have tried it on IE and on Chrome and both take only 33% CPU and seem to run at full speed. Admittedly I have a relatively new system, but it's also a relatively cheap one... but I did put an accelerated video card in it, but it too was cheap (and only requires 300W).

v6v

• Clever
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • My Developer Page!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2012-06-03, 06:46:42 PM »
Lags? I have tried it on IE and on Chrome and both take only 33% CPU and seem to run at full speed. Admittedly I have a relatively new system, but it's also a relatively cheap one... but I did put an accelerated video card in it, but it too was cheap (and only requires 300W).

That could make sense. This computer lags even for something as ridiculous as screen recording. Then again it's great for me to develop on a slow system, so the spectrum of computers that can use it include slow ones like mine.

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #4 on: 2012-06-04, 06:03:19 AM »
No plans to do anything with it, really.  I just had it sitting around collecting dust, and I didn't want it to go to waste.

I never noticed any lag either, with my previous computer or my new one. I suppose I could do some profiling.  Although I didn't plan on do anything else with it.
Edward Dassmesser

v6v

• Clever
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • My Developer Page!
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2012-06-04, 08:55:33 AM »
It could get some serious attention on Tigsource, if either bluemonkmn or yourself decides to post it.

The rage seems to be about games that appear as if they are made for older systems. I'm sure it would fit in well, possibly well enough to get on the main page or enter a competition.

As a matter of fact, why haven't I suggested to everyone to post their games on Tigsource?

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #6 on: 2012-06-05, 06:46:21 AM »
Anybody feel free to take it and run with it, wherever it goes. I just don't have the time/motivation to actually complete the prototype, profile the code, and make levels for it. If you get rich and/or famous, I claim 1% of said riches and fame :)

If it's just the retro-style game you're after, this is based on another SGDK2 project which runs natively and had a more complete set of features, and several completed levels.  That's based on an actually retro game, based on an even retroer game for the Amiga.  I believe I've already posted that one somewhere in the project repository, although I can't be certain...
Edward Dassmesser

v6v

• Clever
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • My Developer Page!
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2012-06-05, 08:58:39 AM »
Even for a Retro-Game, the original TechnoVenture had me playing for 3 days on and off, and I think I was 12 back then. (Proving that gameplay is the key to a great game)

It's a really fun game, if anyone were left to do the levels, I'd hope that was bluemonkmn's job.

By the way, do you still have the project for SGDK2 with TechnoVenture running on Ubuntu with Mono?

It'd be nice to for me to try my project on Linux.

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #8 on: 2012-06-05, 05:46:38 PM »
Unfortunately, I do not have that project any more.  But if I recall correctly, there was very little I needed to do to the project to get it to work.  Yes, you can see the progress of getting it to work here:

http://gamedev.enigmadream.com/index.php?topic=1236.30

That looks like it outlines everything I had to do to get things working.
Edward Dassmesser

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2012-06-05, 08:37:06 PM »
You may also want to take a look at the (separately downloadable) Linux sample project template, which is one of the downloads from the SourceForge project.