Author Topic: Runaway Rabbit  (Read 22994 times)

eric22222

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Eric Online
    • Email
Runaway Rabbit
« on: 2014-07-30, 08:36:28 PM »
Hello everyone!

It's been a very, very long time since I've submitted a game here. I've been working on this project on and off for a few months, and it's finally polished up and ready to play! It's only demo-length, but I may add more levels in the future.

Runaway Rabbit (40 MB exe w/dlls)
Runaway Rabbit source (42 MB sgdk2)

Controls:
+ A: Move left
+ D: Move right
+ W: Enter level
+ SPACE: Jump
+ P: Pause game

While paused:
+ S: Save game
+ L: Load game
+ Escape: Resume game

Weapons unlocked in the shop after level 4:
+ Cycle weapon - mouse scroll wheel
+ Draw weapon - hold left mouse button
+ Fire weapon - release left mouse button
« Last Edit: 2014-08-01, 10:44:17 PM by eric22222 »

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
Re: Runaway Rabbit
« Reply #1 on: 2014-08-01, 06:46:22 AM »
I see you only included the EXE. Before I run a "random" executable, can you reassure me with a word about your anti-virus measures? Do you have good anti-virus software installed, and has your system been pretty stable? I ask because I removed most of my anti-virus software recently because it has never caught a virus for me (I'm careful enough that I never encounter them), and because 40 MB is too large for Google Docs to scan.

eric22222

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Eric Online
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2014-08-01, 03:45:23 PM »
I haven't had any stability issues, but I haven't been running any AV since my last reinstall.

If you're worried, here's a zip of the .sgdk2 file: link

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2014-08-01, 04:21:04 PM »
Looks like it will be a fun game when I can figure out how to enter a level. When I stand in front of an up arrow and press "W" nothing happens. Am I missing something?

eric22222

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Eric Online
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2014-08-01, 10:42:14 PM »
That should be all it takes... The doors are triggered on the up input which is W by default in this project. I've tested this on a few different machines, so I really don't know what the issue is. Is W still listed as the up key under options?

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2014-08-02, 07:19:16 AM »
Okay, I see the problem, but am not sure why you're not seeing it. It's possible the latest SGDK2 release changed the behavior, but on my system, sprite #0 in HubTest1 layer Main is Coin Gold 2. But your PlanBaseHub.Map function is expecting sprite #0 to be the player. Probably the best way to get around this is to change two references in your function from ParentLayer.m_Sprites[0] to ParentLayer.m_SpriteCategories.Player[0].
That's a more robust way to refer to a player sprite instance.
« Last Edit: 2014-08-02, 08:08:43 AM by bluemonkmn »

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2014-08-02, 09:04:52 AM »
This is pretty fun game! I got as far as getting my first weapon and using it on a target. I saved my progress to play more later. I don't understand what the Easter carrot upgrade does. Is it required to activate targets? Also, it took me a bit to figure out that I have to click on carrot upgrades with the mouse to buy them.

I really like the bubble buttons that activate trails of blocks that go do things. I'm curious how you implemented that. If I did it, I would probably have started with a sprite that has a rule to change the tile at its position to be one higher than the tile index that it was, if this is the first frame that the sprite was active (use a parameter to track how many frames this sprite has been active). Then it would wait a certain number of frames, and at the end of that time, use tile touching functions to touch everything in the "ActiveTiilePropagator" category. Then I would use TileActivateSprite to activate another instance of myself at each neighboring tile in that category. Then it would wait a while longer. Then the sprite would change the tile underneath itself to restore the original tile value and terminate itself. That would make it possible to branch this behavior out on multiple paths, which I haven't seen yet, not sure if I might see it later.

eric22222

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Eric Online
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2014-08-02, 11:11:56 AM »
Glad you got it figured out, I'll make sure to update that for the next version.

And I'm very glad you like it!

The font is a little squished on the shop tiles, it's actually "Faster Carrot," which increases the speed of carrots you fire.

The circuits were may favorite feature to implement, and you're pretty close on how it works. The head of the circuit is a sprite that is only allowed to move through a circuit category of tiles. If it's unpowered, the tile value is incremented by 1. Each circuit head uses a custom sprite base which keeps track of its trail. When that list gets to a certain length, the tail end tile is decremented. The circuits support intersecting lines and splitting into multiple directions.

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2014-08-02, 02:50:23 PM »
I've always been tempted to put SGDK2 or an SGDK2 game on Steam Greenlight to see how well it does, but it's kind of a risk since, if I recall correctly, getting a license to publish games to Steam Greenlight costs $100. If you're a risk-taker, though, it might be something worth looking into. But once the license is bought, you can submit as many games as you like. Maybe you could start with a $100 kickstarter which will tell you if there's enough interest *and* pay for the Greenlight! :) (Does Kickstarter cost anything?)

eric22222

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Eric Online
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2014-08-02, 04:40:28 PM »
Some of my testers have suggested Greenlight, but I think I'll need a lot more levels first. Right now it ends after the first boss (which unlocks wall jumps and flutter jumps), but I think about 5 or 6 times more content would be needed for a paid game.

eric22222

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Eric Online
    • Email
Re: Runaway Rabbit - Now with gifs!
« Reply #10 on: 2015-02-01, 02:15:44 PM »
After adding a lot more content, I'm declaring this project "complete!"

This version includes ~25 levels and an in-game level editor.

Click here to download the exe and dlls (compiled through sgdk 2.2.10).
Click here for the (very messy) sgdk2 project file.

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: 2015-02-02, 08:56:05 AM »
Awesome animated screenshots. I'd like to post this to the SGDK2 Facebook page if there's a way to do so. If nothing else, I just link to this post, I guess. You should create a web page for your project that shows these screenshots and talks a little about the game, and links to the download page. I think you could do that for free at sites.google.com if you don' already have another web host. If you get a page up, then I could link to it from the Facebook post. BTW, do you have the ability to post to the SGDK2 Facebook page? I really haven't used it much, so I'm not good at keeping track of how that page is configured.

eric22222

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Eric Online
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: 2015-02-06, 09:42:25 PM »
Hey, sounds good! I whipped up a site through Google, so feel free to link it on the Facebook page: https://sites.google.com/site/dobbsworks/

As for the page configuration, it looks like I've got permissions to post to the Facebook page as far as I can tell.

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: 2015-02-07, 04:18:22 PM »
Done. Feel free to comment or post yourself, too.