Author Topic: Designer Background  (Read 6163 times)

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
Designer Background
« on: 2014-09-06, 01:54:40 PM »
when I make plans or edit maps with transparent tiles I get a LOT of artifacts. I attached a GIF screenshot in case anyone sees it and knows what the issue is.
It's normal for tiles to leave trails if you don't have an opaque background. The map editor has a "Designer Background" layer to help avoid this behavior at design time. But in order to make sure that your game performs optimally at run-time (no unnecessary drawing or erasing), the designer background is excluded when your game is compiled. You are expected to put an opaque background or something that will draw over the previous graphics in your map unless you want the effect of leaving trails.

In your screenshot it looks like you *are* in the map editor, though, so it's strange you'd be getting trails. Did you delete the designer background or something? I suppose it's possible you found some circumstances in which the Designer Background wasn't created for you. Maybe you based your project off an old template from before Designer Background layers were introduced? If you want to add your own Designer Background layer that goes away at runtime, you can add a layer whose Tileset is not set to anything. Otherwise, I suggest adding a regular background layer that fills your display area. It can be a very simple 1x1 "Tile Size" and whatever "Virtual Size" you want for the layer big enough to fill the map. That way, whenever you put 1 tile on the layer it will automatically fill the whole layer and only consume 1 byte of memory.
« Last Edit: 2014-09-06, 02:05:25 PM by bluemonkmn »

craig

• Visitor
    • View Profile
Re: Designer Background
« Reply #1 on: 2014-09-11, 04:20:40 AM »
Did you delete the designer background or something?

I don't see a "designer" anything in my project tree, so likely I deleted it and did the something to which you're referring. I just DL'd the software so I plan on running through the tut's several times until I can do the basic, basic stuff without thinking too much about it. Glad to know it isn't my card/PC.

Thanks for the reply and for the "debug" session on the boards! It's good to have access  ;D

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2014-09-11, 06:08:05 AM »
After posting my previous message I found that the sample project does not have designer backgrounds. So if you started with the sample template and delete layers you could easily end up where you did.

craig

• Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-09-11, 02:49:31 PM »
I did not use a template, I simply followed along with the simple tutorial, adding a Limit frame rate rule in the Player Rules to slow down the animation a tad. When I get to where I'm trying to use a template I'll try adding my own "designer" layer just copying from the default new file setup if that's possible.

Thanks for all the help!

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2014-09-11, 05:05:50 PM »
Interesting. Need more detail on what happened around step 7: "Create a Map." When I create a new map, I get a layer in it by default called "Designer Background".

craig

• Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2014-09-13, 08:45:58 AM »
I won't be messing with it again for a couple of weeks, but I'll be sure to let you know. I'm sure I deleted the designer BG at some point though, as I was deleting things that didn't look like they should be in the project tree based on what I was reading in the tutorial. Based on the additional info I found on adding a LimitFrameRate rule to stop the triangle from spinning all over the screen I assumed I had accidentally added things here and there that didn't belong  :ugly:. At one point the player sprite from the multiplayer example was in there as well.

Not sure what I did exactly, but when I get some time off work I'll be playing with it again and let you know.