• Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
Wudd
« on: 2005-06-12, 01:03:10 PM »
Okay, so I've finally decided to finish, get this, an actual game with the Scrolling Game Development Kit.

I've got a demo up and running, so here it is for all to see.  I've only included three out of the 10 levels I've got designed right now (two easy levels and one mediocre level).  Tell me what you all think as far as difficulty goes.  I think it's easy enough, but then again, I made it.  A friend of mine (though he isn't one for scrolling games) had a hard time playing it.  So constructive feedback on difficulty is a good thing.  Also, you may recognize some of the graphics.  I'm no artist, so I take stuff from other people instead.

Also, be sure to view the instructions before selecting "New"

Here's the demo: Wudd Demo
Edward Dassmesser

billybob884

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • AOL Instant Messenger - billybob884
    • View Profile
Wudd
« Reply #1 on: 2005-06-12, 08:50:10 PM »
Well, not too hard, took a little while to figure out the movement (you almost have to trick it into doing what you want  ;) ). This could definately become an interesting game.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." :: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Eastfist

• Contributor
  • Regular
    • View Profile
    • Eastfist - Chongchen Saelee
Wudd
« Reply #2 on: 2005-06-12, 10:06:15 PM »
The "Instructions" map doesn't load... subscript out of range error. I couldn't load it via the SGDK map editor either.

Otherwise, the rest plays well. I like the extra detail of him coming from a flame.
"What's in a game?"  Juliet says to insult Romeo.

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
Wudd
« Reply #3 on: 2005-06-13, 03:37:36 PM »
Hmm...interesting.  It works on my version.  It may be that you downloaded a version that I uploaded before I tried it and that didn't work....

Oh, well, the server is temporarily down, so I can't tell you what's up with that.

But basically the instructions make it easier to understand what you're supposed to do.  Maybe try downloading it again if you have a fast connection?
Edward Dassmesser

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
Wudd
« Reply #4 on: 2005-06-13, 06:55:18 PM »
The difficulty is about right to challenge me, but it's "weird" difficulty, like trying to land on the right pixel to make the game engine do what I want difficulty and not "normal" dodge the enemy and time your run difficulty.

On another topic, could the bridges that fall down be improved using the demo I posted not long ago?  As they stand right now, I think the player falls through them while walking accross instead of staying on top.

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
Wudd
« Reply #5 on: 2005-06-14, 09:01:18 AM »
In fact, it was your demo that inspired me to put those bridges in.  However, I made the player not ride them on purpose.  The idea is that you have to make the bridges fall from above, but then go around to use them while they float in the water.  If you could just ride them all the way down, it would defeat the purpose.
Edward Dassmesser

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
Riding falling bridges
« Reply #6 on: 2005-06-14, 02:02:09 PM »
Oh right, I forgot that if you rode them you'd go right through the ground with them.  :-[

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
Re: Wudd
« Reply #7 on: 2006-04-10, 02:26:19 PM »
Since I was recently thinking about / talking about updating my graphics for Wudd:

This is the tileset I'm using right now for Wudd.  You'll probably recognize a lot of the graphics from Rolly if you've played it.  Some are my own, and some aren't being used in my game, but are just empty spaces left over from Rolly's tiles that I'm not using.  Actually, my original idea was to have several different tilesets for different worlds, but I'm not that involved in the game, and I don't think I'd make more than 16 levels, so unless each world has only 4 maps, it wouldn't really be worth it.  Having said that, anybody can have a whack at changing them up a bit if they want to.  I also have images for the main character and some sprites that I'm using (Also from Rolly).  The only thing I have to say is that if anybody actually do want to do some editing/redoing , the fires have to stay the same shape, since the gameplay depends on the shape of the actual outline of those sprites.  So have at it... if you want to.

Oh, also: There are some graphics like the Pink Block and the Red Arrow that don't show up in the actual game.  They're used only for editing the map.
« Last Edit: 2006-04-10, 02:32:24 PM by durnurd »
Edward Dassmesser

sam

• Fanatic
  • This statement is false.
    • MSN Messenger - samlancashire@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • samlancashire.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2006-04-10, 03:02:09 PM »
I couldn't improve any of the Rolly graphics if I tried but here are some letters I did a while ago. And just so you know, I never really tested to see if the letters fit together...
EDIT: While actually I guess you can tell if they fit together just by looking at the tileset (duh ???) and they do look pretty spaced apart but oh well you don't gotta use them.

kmarois

• Visitor
    • MSN Messenger - musicmank@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • just my deviant stuff
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2006-04-11, 08:31:21 AM »
If its alright I'll go ahead and try to give youre graphics a boost. Ill try to give them a little bit different style. He is in hell isn't he?

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #10 on: 2006-04-11, 08:58:39 AM »
Well, that's one possibility.  Not right now, actually.  I suppose I should also attach the "background" that I'm using.  It's also the same from Rolly.  So he's not really in Hell, but if you changed everything to look more... hellish, I suppose, including the background, he certainly could be in Hell.  Otherwise, he's just in some non-descript earth-like area.

Oh, And feel free to add more decorative blocks in the tiles that aren't being used.
Edward Dassmesser

sam

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • samlancashire.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: 2006-04-11, 03:37:18 PM »
I downloaded the Wudd Demo (I seem to have deleted the one I downloaded a while ago) and when I was extracting it, a message came up saying that there are no files to extract and something about corrupted files.

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #12 on: 2006-04-11, 06:41:34 PM »
I just downloaded the file myself, and it worked just fine.  If you really want to, you can try downloading it again.  That demo isn't very recent though.  I've updated a bit since then.
Edward Dassmesser

sam

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • samlancashire.com
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: 2006-04-11, 07:34:01 PM »
meh, maybe later if I get enough ambition...(gheez my life sounds exciting doesn't it? ;D)

wow. I just about posted this message with three extra lines describing what I meant by "meh". ???

sam

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • samlancashire.com
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: 2006-04-11, 07:38:40 PM »
huh, weird.
I downloaded it again and got the same thing, oh well, I've played it before, don't got to play it again.