Author Topic: Computer help  (Read 4540 times)

billybob884

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • AOL Instant Messenger - billybob884
    • View Profile
Computer help
« on: 2005-06-16, 10:25:40 AM »
Hi, I'm having problems when I try to get into the regedit via the Run command. it opens up an empty MS-Command window and gives me this error message

16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem     [X]
C:\WINDOWS\system32\regedit.com
the NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal intruction.
CS:e902 IP:4fe8 OP:ff ff ff ff ff Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.
[Close] [Ignore]

Ignore just brings up another of the same message.
Just finished a virus scan w/ norton and its got a clean bill, so idk. The only other problems I can see is that it wont let me use my printer and AIM stopped working, but I fixed it by reinstalling.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." :: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
Computer help
« Reply #1 on: 2005-06-16, 10:36:35 AM »
I assume you have Windows 9x?  You know, since Windows XP doesn't use DOS subsystems and doesn't even have system32\regedit.com.  I also assume you have tried normal things like rebooting into safe mode and trying it from there, in which case there's something seriously wrong with your computer.

What I like to do when there's something seriously wrong with my computer is get a new computer.  But that costs money, so the other thing I like to do is back up all of my files and then reformat the harddrive, reinstall windows and see if it works then.  If it does, then copy all the old files back in.  (Don't just copy all the files from your old harddrive, as that will just not work.  Only copy the user-created files, like documents, gdp files, etc.  Not the actual program files or windows system files)

But I wouldn't do all that just yet.  It sounds like there may just be either a permissions problem or a corrupt file or two.  You could try copying regedit.com from a friend's computer who has the same OS as you and putting it on your computer and trying again.  Or, if you haven't tried it in safe mode and it does work there, then it could be a permissions problem.  That I don't know how to fix.  But as always, be careful when editing your registry anyway!
Edward Dassmesser

billybob884

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
Computer help
« Reply #2 on: 2005-06-16, 11:11:30 AM »
No, it's windows XP Pro, and what do you mean there isn't a system32?
I went into that folder and found regedt32.exe which opens the registry editor fine, so there is just a problem with the com file I guess. I would just copy the file from another computer but my friend says he can't find it on his..
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." :: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
Computer help
« Reply #3 on: 2005-06-16, 01:51:22 PM »
Durnurd was saying there is no "system32\regedit.com" -- he's right -- there should be no regedit.com file in System32 or anywhere on your system.  I think it's a worm despite what Norton says.  One of the things I like to do when something strange happens that I can't explain is search google.  It turned up someone with the same problem a few days ago -- and they found an answer:
http://castlecops.com/t122734-regedit_problems.html

See more details here: http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/virus.aspx?id=43061

billybob884

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
Computer help
« Reply #4 on: 2005-06-17, 04:12:35 AM »
ok, i did teh panda scan thing, left it on last night, and in the morning it had found 6 things, 2 virus's and 4 worms, and was only able to remove 3 of them. yikes, norton sucks

billybob884

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
Computer help
« Reply #5 on: 2005-06-19, 12:25:34 PM »
Ok, well the reformat finished, not without a few hiccups, but it's all good now. Now i get the joy of going through and updating and reinstalling EVERYTHING (and I had a lot of software too).  :?

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
Computer help
« Reply #6 on: 2005-06-19, 04:35:52 PM »
Well, my experience has taught me not to reinstall everything because frankly, I don't use it all.  I just install it as I need it.  It may have been one of the programs that you had installed before that was causing the problems.  So it's a good idea to just install the programs you really need.
Edward Dassmesser