Author Topic: quick question  (Read 4531 times)

billybob884-nologin-

quick question
« on: 2005-06-19, 03:51:06 PM »
i was wondering, you know how when you right click something, in the little menu that comes up theres the "send to >" item, and you can send a file differnet places, well, is there a way to add new places to that menu?

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
quick question
« Reply #1 on: 2005-06-19, 04:36:13 PM »
Yes.
Edward Dassmesser

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
quick question
« Reply #2 on: 2005-06-19, 04:41:04 PM »
Oh, did you want to know how to do it?

Okay, here we go:

As learned from previous experience, you are using Windows XP, (it's different for Windows 9x & ME) so just open up Windows Explorer (or My Computer, or your navigator of choice), and navigate to your main hard drive (C: probably), then to \Documents And Settings

Then, find your login name here.  Whatever folder doesn't say "Administrator", "All Users", "Default User" (Note: You can go here and do the following steps to put it in any subsequent users you create), "LocalService", or "NetworkService".  Then open that folder.  Then open SendTo.  Put a shortcut to the program you want to "send to" in this folder, and it should appear immediately in the "send to" menu.
Edward Dassmesser

billybob884

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • AOL Instant Messenger - billybob884
    • View Profile
quick question
« Reply #3 on: 2005-06-20, 04:20:40 AM »
cool! worked. thanks. themaion reason i wanted to know was because i do a lot of work for my game on the desktop, so i wanted to put a shortcut to my game's folder in that menu.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." :: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
quick question
« Reply #4 on: 2005-06-20, 05:33:10 AM »
Strangely enough, it's never occurred to me to use the Send To command to copy/move files (I don't even know which of those operations it does).  But I know there is an "A:" in the Send To menu, so I knew it was possible -- just never thought about it.  Clever use of the OS.  Would it also be possible to just put a shortcut to the folder on the desktop and drag them in there?

billybob884

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
quick question
« Reply #5 on: 2005-06-20, 09:47:34 AM »
well, thats what i have been doing, but i have so many shortcuts on my desktop that sometimes i drag them to the wrong one. oh, and by the way, finals are finally over, so except for the time that i spend at work, ill pretty much be in full production of my game again.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." :: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
quick question
« Reply #6 on: 2005-06-20, 03:29:16 PM »
Holy smokes! Finals just got over for you?  I must be spoiled.  Finals got over for me May 13th! (In time, I am glad to say, for Star Wars Episode III :))
Edward Dassmesser

billybob884

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
quick question
« Reply #7 on: 2005-06-21, 08:39:56 AM »
yea, it really sucked, we were supposed to be done actually by liek the 15th, but everything kept getting pushed up due to all these rediculous snow days. and when i say rediculous, i mean we didnt have any snow. they pretty much just called them at random. so were not getting out untill tomorrow, but noones going. today is make up periods for finals, no actual classes, and tomorrow is a minimum day, no ones teaching. and since grades are mailed, theres absolutely no reason to go in