Author Topic: 2 player character select  (Read 2857 times)

billybob884

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • AOL Instant Messenger - billybob884
    • View Profile
2 player character select
« on: 2005-10-11, 09:36:54 PM »
hmmm..  just out of curiosity, would it be possible to set up a fairly simple character select for the 2 player levels? (by fairly simple i mean, yes, you guessed it, non-scripted). i know that i could just make a bunch of hte same map and have each one set to different characters, but i was hoping there would be a simpler way.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." :: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: 2005-10-12, 05:56:51 AM »
The difficulty of that depends on how much other sprite switching you are doing.  If you never use the "switch to sprite" function to switch back to the regular player, it should be relatively easy.  Just have the character selection map use the "Switch To Map" function to jump to the map using a specified sprite instead of the default sprite.  You can have one function for each character that you want to support on the map.   So if the player wants to play as "Biff", you activate the function to switch to map 1 as the "Biff" sprite.  If the player wants to play as "Gina", you activate the function to switch to map 1 as the "Gina" sprite.

If map 1 has its own switch sprite function, it will be more tricky.  There might be a way to use hidden inventory items to determine which switch sprite functions to use so that the playing continues to be "Biff" if the player started as Biff, and the character continues to be Gina if the player started as Gina.

billybob884

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • AOL Instant Messenger - billybob884
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005-10-12, 12:01:39 PM »
the only problem with that is for player 2, since thats programmed in script as a default sprite name, you would have to have identical maps with different starting Player 2 characters (to do the 2nd player character select)
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." :: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2005-10-12, 08:08:09 PM »
Well, of course you're going to have to deal in script code to handle player 2 if player 2 was designed using script.