Author Topic: The New SGDK 2.0 demo/sneak peek  (Read 2780 times)

GameDeveloper

The New SGDK 2.0 demo/sneak peek
« on: 2005-11-03, 12:54:16 PM »
I decided to download this, seeing as how I am very excited about it's release, and had a few things to say, and also a few questions.

I have to say, the editing tiles portion of the new kit is alot better then before.  You added alot of great feature to enhance the production speed/value.  It was tough fiquring out where everything was, but I do understand it's just a preview. :)

I didn't, however, fiqure out how to even create a map. :(   It was hard, and I think it kept on crashing...  I'm not sure what the problem is, but I did find that when I went to edit a layer, and select a background tile, the value of that selection kept on restarting back to -1.  I'm not sure this is why I couldn't create one or what.  I was really dieng to check out the new map editing window :(

I'm still looking at the other things, but those are my first impressions thus far.

By the way, it's a good thing and a bad thing you released this.

Good:  We can see what's to come.  

Bad: Now I can't wait even longer, in fact I was trying to create a new game, only to remember it was a demo. :P

EDIT:  I didn't see the test project.  Maybe it's just me who can't view the maps...I'll try to see if I have the correct drivers or what not that I need.:?(noticed it doesn't matter if it's negetive one)

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: 2005-11-04, 06:31:26 AM »
Does anybody remember when you install DirectX 9.0 what the options are?  Maybe you need to select some specific option(s) during installation.  All I know at this point is that SGDK2 depends on managed DirectX 9.  I don't know if the dlls it depends on mare maybe only delivered if you install the DX9 SDK or if there's a special option you need to select to install Managed DirectX during the install.  I hope someone can help us out here.  I wonder if the DirectX experts out there ever visit this board or if I'll have to go hunting for them at www.gamedev.net or gamehippo.com.

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2005-11-04, 06:56:25 AM »
It looks like there maybe is a special option that needs to be specified during the DirectX 9 install in order to get the managed DirectX DLLs.  I got a clue here:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win32.programmer.directx.managed/browse_thread/thread/7cb4c10b51fd19d8/bcc926ab0838f9bb?lnk=st&q=microsoft.directx.dll&rnum=1&hl=en#bcc926ab0838f9bb

No time to research if further this morning, though.