Author Topic: network with old win98 computers  (Read 3680 times)

bat

• Fanatic
  • Cheak out the B*t project
    • MSN Messenger - ethanbatmay@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ethanbatmay
    • View Profile
    • The B*t project
    • Email
network with old win98 computers
« on: 2005-11-15, 06:55:00 PM »
anyone know how to set up a lan network with two WIN.98 computers and a ethernet cable?
~bat

cbass

• Expert
  • Regular
  • script this
    • View Profile
    • Squest RPG
« Reply #1 on: 2005-11-15, 07:35:12 PM »
Without a hub switch or router, you will need a cross over cable

a crossover cable is the same as a network or eithernet cable except that 2 wires are crossed.  You can pick one up at your local computer store.  If you don't have one, you can try the regular network cable but it probably won't work.

Assuming both computers have a network card or onboard network, just plug each computr in each end of the crossover cable.

In 98 i think you have to load tcp/ip and make both computers the same workgroup.  Share something out on both of them to make sure you can access each computer.  If you have a firewall, be sure to disable or allow open access from each other's IP.

Hope I didnt make it sound too hard 8)

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #2 on: 2005-11-15, 07:58:18 PM »
Also, you can look at your network cable to see if it's a crossover cable.  Just look at the clear plug on both ends, and if the colors of the wires are in the same order, it's not a crossover cable.  If they don't match, then you're in luck.

I know that Apples can use either to connect two computers directly, and I imagine there are programs out there that can make it work (but maybe not) with a normal network cable.  And it would probably be less work to buy one.  It would actually probably be less work to cut the wire and make a crossover cable yourself than to try to find the program I'm talking about, because it may not even exist.

I believe if you go into "Network Neighborhood" there should be a wizard of some sort to guide you through creating a network connection.  If not, then basically, what CBass said is right.  Just make sure they're in the same Workgroup (Start->Settings->Control Panel->Network->Identification) then restart both computers.  Then, if you want to share folders, etc. go back to the Configuration tab and click on "File and Printer Sharing" and choose "I want to share my files" and click OK.  To share a specific folder, open it in Windows Explorer, then choose File->Sharing->Share
Edward Dassmesser

bat

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • The B*t project
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2005-11-15, 11:32:48 PM »
yup, its a cross over.  whats this about loading an ip thing? i tried to connect both but, got no sign they were connected. i know about the enable file sharing and ect. but it still doesn't work.

i messed with all the ip config. stuff, but to no good luck.  Would connecting an XP to a 98 be easier?
Linux to 98? Obiously an xp to an xp is easy...

**By the way, thanks for helping. I tried to talk to computer friends ect. at school, but they didn't get past "having a cross-over..." I KNOW I HAVE ONE!!!
~bat

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2005-11-16, 06:30:31 AM »
XP to 98 might be easier.  I think XP has some wizards to help you make network connections and install them on other machines with network install disks that the wizard create.

cbass

• Expert
  • Regular
  • script this
    • View Profile
    • Squest RPG
« Reply #5 on: 2005-11-16, 06:19:55 PM »
find your network card or network connection in either network nieghborhood or divice manager  and go into properties.  There is a listbox which should have TCP/IP, if it isn't there, install it from the properties window

bat

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • The B*t project
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2005-11-17, 09:57:03 PM »
it is....
~bat