SGDK Version 1 > General Discussion

Clever Ideas

<< < (2/3) > >>

GameDeveloper:
I have another clever Idea.  this deals with teleporting the player to a location on that same map.

*   When wanting to switch the player to a location, select the 'toggle grid' function by right clicking and holding and collapsing the sprite options [this portion is all done in the map editor].  When you have that selected, put a new path at the location you wish to teleport to and then close.  Now, outside of the editor, bring up the special function editor that is located with the map.  go down to the teleport function and leave it there.  Go to the sprites list and go down to the new path you created and look at the coordinates.  You will see the x and y coordinates listed beside the path names.  look at these coordinates and type them into the function!  This makes it very quick and easy when you are trying to teleport around, and makes it precise, too.  just delete the path afterward.
Well that's another of my two cents. [would that make it four?]

billybob884:
well, like 6 because your otherpost had 2 ideas, or maybe it is 4 becasue it was one post...

durnurd:
Another way to do that would be to just use the mouse.  Place it at the tile you want to teleport to, take note of the tile coordinates it gives in the corner.  Then, multiply those values by the tile width and height respectively to get the pixel coordinates.

bluemonkmn:
Yes, durnurd's suggestion was the method I assumed would be most commonly used, which is why there's a calculator button right there to help you do the multiplication.  But if you think it's easier to put a path on the map and then look at the sprites dialog, you're certainly free to do it that way :).  Maybe it is easier if you want to, for example, collect a whole bunch of teleport points by adding them all to a single path and then look at the whole list.

Eastfist:
Been hacking away at my "fighting" level.

A clever idea I just discovered is using the Alter map special function and an inventory counter to keep track of "environmental damage."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version