Author Topic: Screen Shot Topic...  (Read 18319 times)

Zorb Burger

Re: Screen Shot Topic...
« Reply #30 on: 2006-01-19, 11:15:08 PM »
i ll got scrn of ma gma rela sono! :D :D :D

Orion Pax

• Contributor
  • Regular
    • View Profile
    • OPX
« Reply #31 on: 2006-01-22, 08:34:46 AM »
Billybob I'm truly glad you like my work but don't sell yourself short! looking at you screenshots it wouldnt take much to bump your work up to the next level.

For the record I use to draw nintendo sprites onto graph paper so I have a long history with pixel art and I'm still learning new things all the time. Much of that was self taught + studying existing examples. There are easier ways.. their are now tons of tutorials and pixel art communities if you want to better your work... honestly if you learn a few key things your work will improve dramatically. Pixel art is something anyone can get into and its easier now then ever... If anyone here wants I can assemble a thread based on the key things I have learned over the past few years as well as a number of tutorial links & communities I think are beneficial. Nothing comes over night but its not as difficult as it looks. I am willing to help out anyone here if needed/desired, as my time contraints allow.

Eastfist... I know you didn't ask for crits when you posted your screen shots but I need to say something sooner or later. I have been watching your progess for years now (you inspiried me on pushing SGDK without scripting) on the gfx front your progress has been a bit static. Your work reminds me of older apogee games - commander keen, duke nukem, etc. Thats not a bad thing but if you want to grow as a pixel artist I think you need to start visiting the pixel communities.. To be blunt - their are people there that kick both our asses at this (and they are helpful). I am not good with that s***, I'm kind of a loner but I also know how it effects my art. I think you could pick it up pretty fast, as you have a strong foundation already.

cbass

• Expert
  • Regular
  • script this
    • View Profile
    • Squest RPG
« Reply #32 on: 2006-01-22, 08:00:33 PM »
Hey Orion,

If you would, could you link to some of your preferred tutorials and communities.  I used to visit one which seems to of disappeared, "pixilation".  and the only tutorial I have read seems to have too, but was written by this "tsugumo" guy, which I think was an excellent tutorial.  Most of my art I would still consider "Programmer art" but at least its good programmer art   ;)

Eastfist

• Contributor
  • Regular
    • View Profile
    • Eastfist - Chongchen Saelee
« Reply #33 on: 2006-01-23, 02:27:44 PM »
Orion Pax wrote:

Eastfist... I know you didn't ask for crits when you posted your screen shots but I need to say something sooner or later. I have been watching your progess for years now (you inspiried me on pushing SGDK without scripting) on the gfx front your progress has been a bit static. Your work reminds me of older apogee games - commander keen, duke nukem, etc. Thats not a bad thing but if you want to grow as a pixel artist I think you need to start visiting the pixel communities.. To be blunt - their are people there that kick both our asses at this (and they are helpful). I am not good with that s***, I'm kind of a loner but I also know how it effects my art. I think you could pick it up pretty fast, as you have a strong foundation already.

I'd devote more time to it, but alas, I don't have that much time.
"What's in a game?"  Juliet says to insult Romeo.

sam

• Fanatic
  • This statement is false.
    • MSN Messenger - samlancashire@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • samlancashire.com
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: 2006-04-15, 07:44:33 PM »
One neat thing I have done is made the content creation very simple dispite the complex scripting.  All enemies (enemy sprites) are created not with paths, but by placing tiles, and the runtime code creates the sprites out of tiles.  I want to try to encourage other SGDK users to create custom maps for this game since it is so easy and shouldn't take more than a few hours per map.  No sprites have to be defined, and no special functions beyond "switch to map" ones to connect it to the rest of the game are required, but making more special functions can help add depth, fun, or story to each map.

Can you pleeeease tell me how to do this?
I hate my map editing script right now. It just gets in the way. I'd assume all the enemies that you place have to be inert/follow flat floor or something, right?

Bulbaboy

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2006-04-15, 07:48:12 PM »
I agree with sam's first sentence, although not for the same reason.  User-created content and modding is cool, after all, and not having to start from scratch if/when I want to implement it would be nice.

cbass

• Expert
  • Regular
  • script this
    • View Profile
    • Squest RPG
« Reply #36 on: 2006-04-16, 11:03:33 AM »
Can you pleeeease tell me how to do this?
I hate my map editing script right now. It just gets in the way. I'd assume all the enemies that you place have to be inert/follow flat floor or something, right?

This will not get you away from the map editor, hopefully it will get you away from the everything BUT the map editor (solidity is already defined, tilematching done, sprites are dynamic so no need to edit, all special functions relating to the player sprites functions are automatically copied to all maps)
You want to know how to do this for one of your projects?  Basically you have to script it in.

For instance, I want to have a designer (me or someone else) be able to create a new map, place the tiles, place the sprites (by placeing tiles on an "enemy sprite layer")  add in a playersprite and any special functions (optional), add in item pickups (just like placing tiles again on a "item" layer) then all you would have to do is make some transport special functions to get to and from the new map and you are done.  Also, I could make it even easier by having a map template that is just copied whenever a new map is created.  Then it would be: add tiles, done.

In order to do this, my script is constantly scanning the boarders of the screen looking for tiles on the "enemy sprite layer" that are not blank, if it finds one, it uses script to add the appropriate enemy/NPC sprite and delete the tile.  The enemy sprite is then controled by script depending on what enemy it is.  If the player runs away so the enemy sprite is off the screen, the script turns him into a tile again. (this is to save on system resources so their aren't 50+ sprites running around and getting tested for collisions)

Also, when the map first loads, the script creates the correct player sprite (so the content creator doesn't have o worry about designing one) or edits the current player sprite to be the correct one.  All the appropriate special functions for the player sprite are copied to new maps as well (so player still shoots, gets hit, dies, etc)

If you wanted to do something similar for you game, it would definately require a lot of custom code to fit your particular genre/game.  I think I have posted said project once before on these forums but all the code is in VB 6.0 not a .vbs file.  Here it is again if you want to see what I'm talking about, just run the exe.

Dynamic Content Adventure Game Alpha

sam

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • samlancashire.com
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: 2006-04-16, 02:52:41 PM »
whoosh. Ya got some pretty complex stuff goin on there. I didn't understand anything. I think I'll just stick with making paths until SGDK2 comes out.

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #38 on: 2006-04-16, 08:38:53 PM »
You can read the Scripting Docutorial in the help file to see exactly how to do what you want.  It explains every aspect of coding, and specifically how the script for Gold Yoink works and what it does.  The sprites aren't just simple follow flat floor sprites.  They could be any kind of sprite you like, but in Gold Yoink, they're intelligent enemies that follow the player using a heuristic-based search algorithm (I believe).
Edward Dassmesser

sam

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • samlancashire.com
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: 2006-04-16, 08:44:03 PM »
I started reading it once. I got about a third of the way through and I couldn't keep reading. I didn't understand much. It shows you what certain parts of the code does but it doesn't tell you how to write a script for your own game.

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #40 on: 2006-04-16, 09:20:46 PM »
Of course it can't tell you exactly what to do for your own game, since your own game will almost invariably not be Gold Yoink.  You have to be able to understand what everything is doing, not just see what it's doing and go "yeah... okay".  However, since you wanted to be able to place sprites using tiles, and Gold Yoink does exactly that and tells you how its doing it, it'd be a good idea to read it and comprehend what it's saying.

If you need help understanding, feel free to ask.  The Docutorial isn't meant as an entire online course for programming, of course.
Edward Dassmesser

sam

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • samlancashire.com
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: 2006-04-16, 09:39:10 PM »
Of course it can't tell you exactly what to do for your own game, since your own game will almost invariably not be Gold Yoink
Yah I know, but, (in my opinion) it doesn't make it clear enough where to put your own sprite names and stuff. I'll look at the docutorial again some time, but for now I'll just use paths.

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: 2006-04-17, 05:40:41 AM »
Of course it can't tell you exactly what to do for your own game, since your own game will almost invariably not be Gold Yoink
Yah I know, but, (in my opinion) it doesn't make it clear enough where to put your own sprite names and stuff. I'll look at the docutorial again some time, but for now I'll just use paths.

That sentence from durnurd made me laugh out loud  ;D.  Good way to start my day.  "Almost invariably not be GoldYoink," heheh.

Anyway, the docutorial isn't meant to be simply a template where you fill in the blanks with your own sprite names.  If it did this, you would, as durnurd so facetiously suggests, simply be re-creating another form of GoldYoink, and come out with no better understanding of scripting.  It's meant to help you understand what the GoldYoink script is doing so you can figure out how to adapt the scripting features of GameDev to your own purposes by looking at how Gold Yoink's script accomplishes certain tasks.  But the goal is to help understand scripting in general, not just understand how GoldYoink works.  In combination with the scripting reference, it should be clear where you use map names and layer names and sprite names and such.  I think it's a good thing that the docutorial doesn't give you every detail because forcing you to go back to the scripting reference to fully understand the code helps tie it into the main reference you should be using anyway.  Using the docutorial in combination with the scripting reference should be a good way to get a comprehensive understanding of what you're reading about.  As the docutorial warns, however, it's by no means a comprehensive guide (and it's not a beginner's guide to programming either... you might need to practice some more fundamental programming concepts first separately).

cbass

• Expert
  • Regular
  • script this
    • View Profile
    • Squest RPG
« Reply #43 on: 2006-04-17, 10:51:19 AM »
That sentence from durnurd made me laugh out loud  ;D.  Good way to start my day.  "Almost invariably not be GoldYoink," heheh.

It made me laugh too. because hey... ""what kind of loser would make GoldYoink Clone"" :P

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #44 on: 2006-04-17, 12:21:52 PM »
Yeah, Douglas Smith needs to get a life... and a real name.
Edward Dassmesser