Author Topic: SGDK 2.0 Status  (Read 301807 times)

Tanja

• Clever
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: SGDK 2.0 Status
« Reply #75 on: 2007-11-30, 05:49:36 AM »
ok, i'll test it. i found some mistakes in your tut, bluemonk.

for the part "playing background music" the user shall change the "signal94" into "tropical fun". alright then.
then there is the part where it reads: "Next we will try to play different music on level 1 that we had on the menu map."

4. Select TropicalFun as the first parameter. This will cause TropicalFun to be the sound that is stopped by this rule.
7. Leave the rule type as "Do" and select "CustomObjects.FMODBase.StopSound" as the rule function.
8. Select the Signal95 music for the first parameter. (it has to read Signal94)

if the user run the game now, for the menu is music, but for the game not. this comes because in the player rules, the "continue music" rule is playing "tropical fun", the next rule is stopping that sound.
-------------------------------------------------------

the rest of the tut is fine to me, all the things worked. it is indeed very easy to use sounds, but the way how to  i would have never figured out without help.
as for the video tuts of durnurd: generally i like video tuts very much, because it is  faster to assimilate the information.
for the first video part i wonder why it is so short.
for the second part: it is the best, but it ends with "open the sprite definitions folder". but the rest remains unshown, there is no connection the the third.
third part: way to fast. but the important things are shown. the only thing i miss is, when you copy and insert the code of "boing". please don't use a shortcut the viewer can't see.

what i like so much for the written tutorial is there is plenty of background information besides the how-to.
what i generally dislike for the written tuts: it is a huge mass of plain text. sometimes it is very hard for me to do one step at the devkit, than return to the tut and find the right sentence where i was. the sound tut is not very long. but the others are. maybe you could insert more spacing between paragraphs, use colored headlines or a screenshot.

thank you both very much for the tutorials.
« Last Edit: 2007-11-30, 06:28:52 AM by Morgengrauen »

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #76 on: 2007-11-30, 09:13:55 AM »
The problem is that there is no way to copy or paste code with a visual shortcut.  You have to use Ctrl+c and Ctrl+v to copy and paste text in the code editor.  Something that should probably be put into the edit menu.

The second tutorial quickly runs through how to do the part shown in Tutorial one, then you have to take over manually once it starts telling you what to do (Open the sprite definitions folder).
Edward Dassmesser

Tanja

• Clever
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2007-11-30, 12:29:47 PM »
then pardon me, durnurd, i didn't know that.
at a situation like this, where something isn't clear, there could be a hint, like in the first video part with the "speech bubbles".
maybe the videos could be inserted in the tut at the right place or something. it is a good idea to make them, since the other tutorials are very long.

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: 2007-12-01, 11:57:21 AM »
I like the first one best -- I think it's the most effective in helping the user remember/understand because it not only goes at the pace the user is reading, but also forces them to trigger the actions as they actually would.