Author Topic: Starcraft...  (Read 4484 times)

Guilect

Starcraft...
« on: 2006-01-10, 09:10:41 PM »
Does anyone still play this classic PC game?  I've been playing it a lot recently, mostly it's multiplayer, and I was just wondering if someone still plays this.

This is, in my opinion, the best strategy game ever.  It's seems so simple, yet the amount of depth to the game is incredible!  I wish that more PC strategy games were more like Starcraft, where they have different races, each with their own unique abilities, units, buildings and many other things. :) 

cbass

• Expert
  • Regular
  • script this
    • View Profile
    • Squest RPG
Re: Starcraft...
« Reply #1 on: 2006-01-11, 12:09:08 AM »
I'm in the same boat as you, I love this game.  I have tried several other RTS's in the last few years, but I don't play them for more than a month.  I've been playing SC for at least 6 years.

I still have one of my first accounts too.  About 1000 games played on him.

Master of Orion 2 is also a game of around the same era that I still play today.  Although I only play this one single player, never tried multi.

GameDeveloper

« Reply #2 on: 2006-01-11, 11:43:34 AM »
  Hey, it seems that all of us in this thread are in the same boat.  I play StarCraft every single day between classes of school.  It helps to refresh my mind.  Maybe all three of us could play a multiplayer match together?  We could all go agianst 2-3 computers and be on the same team.  It would be neat to finally have another human ally, and judging by how much you've played it Cbass, it sounds like you might be really good.

Just a thought.

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2006-01-11, 06:06:46 PM »
I don't own it, but I have enjoyed playing it on other people's computers.  Also, I took a look at the map editor and it looks pretto sophisticated.  I have thought about it (the little that I can remember) sometimes when thinking about how I will design the new rule system(s) for SGDK 2.0.

GameDeveloper

« Reply #4 on: 2006-01-11, 06:12:02 PM »
Yeah, the editor is one of my favorite parts.  Me and my brother(Guilect) always create scenario's that we both can play.  It's so sophisticated, that we actually made an RPG with it.  Well, it was hard to do, but it was very close to one.  Pretty sophisticated, if you ask me.  Creating maps...playing them...it makes me want to load up the game and play it right now!  I probably shouldn't though... I already played quite a bit today.

But, yes, the editor is a prime edition to the StarCraft package.

Guilect

« Reply #5 on: 2006-01-11, 06:22:19 PM »
I truly do enjoy the editor.  And yes, GameDeveloper, that RPG was quite ambitious and it took some time to make it also.  The Editor isn't really that hard to use.  It's easier to use than SGDK, not saying that SGDK is hard to use.  I also love making HUGE multiplayer maps to go up against some A.I. opponents. :)

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #6 on: 2006-01-12, 12:54:51 PM »
I have played it in the past.  My current RTS is Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds.  It's built from the Command & Conquer engine.  It's quite a fun game.  A new one is coming out called Star Wars: Empire At War, which also looks pretty fun.
Edward Dassmesser

cbass

• Expert
  • Regular
  • script this
    • View Profile
    • Squest RPG
« Reply #7 on: 2006-01-12, 06:01:36 PM »
I played Star war galactic battlegrounds for a while too.  It was pretty fun.  Although isn't it based on Age of empires?  I guess I never played Command & Conquer before so maybe those are similar too.:)

Guilect

« Reply #8 on: 2006-01-12, 06:24:07 PM »
To stay on topic, has anyone made any missions with the Starcraft Campaign Editor?  I've made a few really interesting maps/missions that actually span out to be about three hours long. :)

cbass

• Expert
  • Regular
  • script this
    • View Profile
    • Squest RPG
« Reply #9 on: 2006-01-12, 10:56:54 PM »
oops sorry :-X

;)  You know, for all I've played that game, and for how much I like game design, suprisingly, I haven't messed with the map editor all that much.  I started to make a single player campaign, but never finished it and probably lost it.  I have also edited other maps I have downloaded to make them more playable, but that's where my experience with it stops.

You should zip up some maps you created and post em :)  I would be interested in playing some fresh maps.

On a side note.  I still have a couple hundred maps from when I first started playing up to now.  Sure most of them suck, or are near identical copies, but thats ok.  I always remember to back them up every time I have reformated.

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #10 on: 2006-01-13, 09:20:23 PM »
Oops, yeah, Age of Empires engine, yeah.  But seriously, do we need to stay on topic in the Off-Topic forum?

I did make one level for Star Craft about four years ago, and I kept it on my computer for two or three years, but then I never had the actual CD (it's my brother's) so I deleted it.  The only thing I remember about it is there was the Zerg in it.  Though that's not much of a hard thing to remember, I guess.
Edward Dassmesser

Guilect

« Reply #11 on: 2006-01-13, 09:31:12 PM »
I will try to get some of my Starcraft maps loaded here, at least the good ones. 

Good point you make durnurd, but really we should stay on topic whether it contradicts the name, Off-topic fourm, or not. :P

Zorb Burger

« Reply #12 on: 2006-01-19, 10:41:35 PM »
I play dat b4. fun gam i can say what you gus thun it alwa frexze douh so dat ma opinion! ;)