Author Topic: Untitled... but still awesome  (Read 19705 times)

eric22222

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Eric Online
    • Email
Untitled... but still awesome
« on: 2006-01-25, 11:08:44 PM »
For those that remember all my media trouble, I posted a small portion of a game I was working on. Forget that one for now. It'll show up eventually, but forget it for now. The future is on its way. My friend (the one that introduced me to SGDK) and I are working on a huge project. It's a bit ambitious, but I think we'll be able to. It will be taking place in a solar system (not our own) soon to be under attack. We're still hammering out plot line details, so I won't go in depth on it. We plan to have an overworld map (space) which contains planets. Each planet will actually have it's own overworld map. He's been working on graphics, and I'm still in awe. He's still getting some tilesets together. We'll be starting level design soon. I've got some midis ready to put in, and some level design ideas.

I'll be keeping you all posted in this topic. I'll also might post a few screen shots (in the screen shot topic) when we get a few levels together. All in all, I think the best way to describe what we have in mind is "huge."

Wish us luck!

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
Re: Untitled... but still awesome
« Reply #1 on: 2006-01-26, 08:42:57 AM »
Well, if you finish this project, it will be one of a kind among SGDK games, and it sounds pretty neat!  So good luck!
Edward Dassmesser

eric22222

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Eric Online
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2006-01-26, 09:33:10 PM »
We've got one tileset just about ready... thought I'd post it here (since it isn't really a screen shot from the game).

One idea we're considering is having this planet's orbit cause one hemisphere to be in perpetual day and the other in perpetual night. This'll fill that plot hole of "how come it's always day in this level, but always night in this level?"
After sending me this one, I used Photoshop to give dfferent feels to different levels of one planet:

This is gonna be good!  ;D

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2006-01-26, 09:40:29 PM »
Aw, now you gone took my idea...
THANK YOU!

billybob884

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • AOL Instant Messenger - billybob884
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006-01-27, 06:48:05 AM »
... images aren't showing up..
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." :: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

eric22222

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Eric Online
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2006-01-27, 11:07:55 AM »

billybob884

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • AOL Instant Messenger - billybob884
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006-01-27, 12:13:14 PM »
wow dude, those are nice!
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." :: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

eric22222

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Eric Online
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2006-01-27, 10:55:22 PM »
 :)

I envy his skill... I feel like I'm doing all the easy stuff. Nonetheless, it's nice to have someone good at that stuff on the team!

Man, I wish I could do that.

eric22222

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Eric Online
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2006-02-05, 08:00:26 PM »
Just an update:

We've made some huge strides in the storyline. It's feeling like an RPG with all this plot...
   Graphics are still coming, though we've decided not to use the previously posted tilesets on the first world. They were originally for the home planet, but we've been changing things up.
   Music is still coming, too. I've got about six songs more or less ready. I decided I'd post one. You can download it at http://eric22222.tripod.com/id39.html.

And as long as I'm posting, we've been thinking about a name for our partnership. You know, one of those (sometimes ridiculous) pseudonyms that people go by when they release a game. We're thinking about just randomly drawing one adjective and one noun out of hat. The best suggestion we've gotten so far is "Angry Toaster."

...Still need to work on the name. Let me know what you think of the music. I'm trying to get as much as I can before we actually start working.

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2006-02-06, 06:49:30 AM »
The music sounds a little fast for orchestral music.  But as orchestral music it does sound impressive coming out of a MIDI file -- I guess my sound card is good at playing orchestral music :).  This would be OK for a short time span -- I wouldn't want to hear this same short piece playing for extended periods of time.  Would need something slower for that I think.

eric22222

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Eric Online
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: 2006-02-06, 10:10:58 AM »
Well, I'm kind of doing things backwards. Since we haven't started levels, I'm just writing some quick 16-measure songs; mainly things that correspond to the major cliche' environments. If we ever come up with a level that might need the song, I'll expand upon it depending on what's different from how I originally saw the level turning out.

As for the speed of this one... with all the video games with timed escape sequences, it seemed a crime not to write one  :D.

gwal

• Regular
  • Game Progress: Outer Space / Items
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006-02-06, 06:48:24 PM »
The song is pretty good. Maybe I'll post some of my game's music sometime. By the way, what program did you use to create it?

eric22222

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Eric Online
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: 2006-02-06, 07:22:53 PM »
It's Voyetra Music Write. Nothing terribly awesome, but it does everything I need.

eric22222

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Eric Online
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: 2006-05-31, 10:18:39 AM »
Update! We've decided on the main character. I don't have any images on my computer, but it looks kind of like a porcupine. Less spikes, though. Basically, he'll be part of an agricultural society (low-tech). His starting weapon is a spear, but after traveling through space, he'll get more. We want to make the weapons very useful for platforming along with killing enemies. Here's some things we came up with for a spear:
  • Stab the enemy (duh)
  • Throw it at the enemy
  • Stick it into a wall and use it as a platform
  • Run along the ground and pole vault
So here's my question: does anyone have any ideas for higher-tech weapons that can do some platforming things? We've thought of maybe a charged laser cannon that has some kick to it; like if you fire it at full blast, you can launch yourself across gaps.
(I'm about to go on a long trip and want him to have as many ideas for animations to draw as possible while I'm gone. That way we won't waste any time.)

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #14 on: 2006-05-31, 06:45:01 PM »
If you want to go really hi-tech, an attractor that draws the "attractant" towards itself (for leaping over larger gaps or wherever you can aim towards).  You would aim the attractor and shoot it into a wall where it sticks, and the Attractant would be something that you hold, so you fly towards the attractor, or you can throw it onto enemies, but then the enemy immediately starts moving towards the attractor, which you are still holding, so you have to throw it away quickly to hold an enemy in place.  This way, you can't actually kill the enemy, but you can just leap over it or past it or whatever, and then "recall" the attractor and attractant to yourself, releasing the enemy.  This would probably involve lots of scripting, but it would be really cool if you could get it to work.

This would be if your game is very long with a large range of technical levels evolving from very low-tech to very high-tech.  If your game revolves around a mostly low-tech society, however, it would probably be a bit out of place.
Edward Dassmesser