Author Topic: OBLIVION GOLD!!!!11  (Read 14514 times)

cbass

• Expert
  • Regular
  • script this
    • View Profile
    • Squest RPG
Re: OBLIVION GOLD!!!!11
« Reply #15 on: 2006-03-07, 05:56:43 PM »
Yeah, i might have to pick up oblivion.  I'll pry read a few reviews before I decide though.  Hopefully they fixed the combat system, equipment balance, end-game balance, and economy balance since morrowind.

That does look awesome though.

hebedaymun

« Reply #16 on: 2006-03-07, 07:52:34 PM »
Yeah, i might have to pick up oblivion.  I'll pry read a few reviews before I decide though.  Hopefully they fixed the combat system, equipment balance, end-game balance, and economy balance since morrowind.

That does look awesome though.

Holy crap, man, have you not been covering it????  All, and I mean every single thing you mentioned were their main focus with this game!!  MAin fixing focus.  It's all better.  Do yourself a favor, and get Oblivion.

P.S. I'm sh*tin' my pants just thinking of the damn game.
« Last Edit: 2006-03-07, 07:58:48 PM by hebedaymun »

hebedaymun

« Reply #17 on: 2006-03-07, 07:57:37 PM »
Hold your breath guys, this game is going to own you if you get it.  Try not tear up when you see this beautiful screen!!  (56k warning, in case any of you are chugging along on dial-up):

Yell at me if it's too big and I'll delete this post.

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #18 on: 2006-03-07, 08:15:02 PM »
With some Anti-Aliasing, this could be a pretty nice-looking game.
Edward Dassmesser

hebedaymun

« Reply #19 on: 2006-03-07, 08:20:26 PM »
Man, I can't wait for this game.  Seriously though, Durnurd, you must have been tucked underneath a rock for the past 4 years if you haven't heard of Oblivion.

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #20 on: 2006-03-07, 11:47:02 PM »
I don't know how what I said could be taken offensively, but what you said has definetely gone too far now.  I was simply pointing out that I noticed some jagged edges in the graphics, specifically around the trunks of the trees that, if they were removed via anti-aliasing, it would look like an astounding game.  I said absolutely nothing about the size of the game, and yes, I do know what 16 square miles of an ingame world is (same size as the original Star Wars Galaxies planets, and I trekked across the entirety of Naboo on my first day of playing that game on foot.  So yes, I do know).  I never said I've never heard of Oblivion, I never said I've not played Morrowind, and I never said I didn't appreciate the graphics of the game.  I said that it could be better with Anti-aliasing.  With that being said, your actions were unprovoked, unwarranted and have been extremely offensive to me.  You insulted me, you insulted my intelligence, and you implied that I am a stupid little kid who doesn't know anything, and I find that incredibly offensive.  You are taking to protecting the reputation of this game too far, to the extent that you see any perceived (even if non-existant) criticism of the game as a personal attack on you, and you personally attacked me back, even though I was simply stating that it "could be better".  As it stands, it does look like an incredibly detailed game with amazing graphics.  I should know, I've played my fair share of highly-detailed games, including Doom III, Half-Life II, and others, which both have Anti-Aliasing, which removes the problem seen in the picture you posted above.  Perhaps you should do some research yourself before making an unfounded rebuttal.
Edward Dassmesser

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: 2006-03-08, 06:53:04 AM »
I think I tend to be pretty relaxed about letting people post what they want, and I am almost tempted to do no moderation whatsoever (just let people post appropriate replies to inflammatory posts), but when posts like that show up in a community like this, I worry that it will turn people away not only from the game you're trying to praise but from the forums.  So I think the only responsible thing (for me) to do is to tone down the posts that go too far so that other members see that this is a mostly friendly community that does have some reasonable limits.  If that kind of censorship sends a worse message, someone let me know.

Censoring yourself by starring out a single letter or reducing intensity of your swearing doesn't do much good to moderate the effect of attacking another person.  I think everyone knows what you're saying with the starred out letters, and the swearing itself isn't usually the main problem, but rather the fact that you're using it to "attack" someone personally.  I think the Germans offer a good perspective on this -- they don't mind swearing like Americans do (they probably don't censor television just based on words) but calling a person a name (especially an animal name) is just as bad or worse.  So keep in mind that, at least in the opinion of this board's moderator (me), personal insults are worse than swearing, and I can tell the difference between swearing in general or swearing at someone.  So expect consequences if you go over the line in that regard.

A final suggestion for effective communication: if you disagree with someone, focus on the positive rather than the negative side of the argument.  Instead of insulting their intelligence and telling them what's wrong about them, tell them more about what you think is right and why you disagree.  This accomplishes two things: 1) The person you are trying to communicate with will be more open to hearing your perspective and 2) You are more likely to clear up any misunderstandings before making a fool of yourself.  I don't have a degree in communication or anything, but to me, it's just common sense.  I hope others see the sense in that perspective.

Zorb Burger

« Reply #22 on: 2006-03-08, 09:03:56 AM »
I tink dat duh gam lok purty good!  I wood pic it up if ma comp could run it... :-[

hebedaymun

« Reply #23 on: 2006-03-08, 09:25:54 AM »
Look, Durnurd, there's no reason to get offended by my comments.  In fact they should be excused.  I was acting like a silly blinded fanboy and I admit that.... so, yeah I take it back.  Now that it's censored...I really don't remember what it is that i said.... sorry for being a sh*t head, Durnurd.  I take back all those comments.  I hope I don't discourage people from these forums, and if I do...well, why the hell would they let that get to them???  also, yes, I do know what AA is, I always look for it in my games, it's just the developers had to sacrifice alot of graphics to have a massive world with over 200+ hours of gameplay, 200+ doungeons, 1000+ items, etc.  Yeah...so I guess you can have this....

*Gives him a piece of cake*

So.... uhh....yeah, Oblivion....woot.

*Crickets chirp*

hebedaymun

« Reply #24 on: 2006-03-08, 06:12:11 PM »
Oh, yeah, Bluemnkmn, delete that bad post of mine, will ya.

hebedaymun

« Reply #25 on: 2006-03-09, 12:41:17 AM »
WOW...is it....how many more days is it?

*checks the calander*

Damn it!!  Only 11 more DAYYYSSS!!!!  ARGHHH!!! CAN'T WAIT!

Here's a new screenie:

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: 2006-03-09, 06:33:36 AM »
Oh, yeah, Bluemnkmn, delete that bad post of mine, will ya.
Done

And those are possibly the most spectacular real-time game graphics I have ever seen (those are screenshots of real-time rendered scenes I assume?).

hebedaymun

« Reply #27 on: 2006-03-09, 09:27:36 AM »
And those are possibly the most spectacular real-time game graphics I have ever seen

Now you're talkin' Bluemnkmn!  But, yeah it does have really good graphics.  Thanks for deleting that dumb post of mine.  Man, it sure made me look like an ass.  I keep on trying to appologize to Durnurd, but that guy is never on!  Oh well, I just hope I didn't scare him away!

*looks around*

Oh, shoot, hold on, he's been helping others lately, so he has been on.

hebedaymun

« Reply #28 on: 2006-03-09, 04:30:30 PM »
Okay, okay, I got a REALLLLLYYYY good one now!!!  I don't know if this will be a bit to much, but bare with me.  We all have HD monitors, right?

Here it is!!!!!:

SIMPLY AMAZING
« Last Edit: 2006-03-09, 04:43:24 PM by hebedaymun »

cbass

• Expert
  • Regular
  • script this
    • View Profile
    • Squest RPG
« Reply #29 on: 2006-03-09, 06:43:45 PM »
Hopefully my athlon xp 2100 with a radeon 9600 can handle it
Ill have to use my laptop if my desktop can't handle it.

I can't decide whether I want this game or Galactic Civ 2, since I probably won't have time to play both.  Really, I shouldn't get either so I have more time to work on making games.