Author Topic: Install packager  (Read 2812 times)

eric22222

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Eric Online
    • Email
Install packager
« on: 2006-03-21, 11:07:50 AM »
Hey guys. I'm working on a side-project (graphics are slow moving on our main one). After finishing a level, I'm pretty happy about what I could do with this game. Hence, I'm trying to figure out the install packager. First off, whenever I make a tileset for any game, I put it into the GameDev folder. My gdp file is always in a folder named after whatever game it is. The install packager will only take the files in the folder that the gpd is in.

My first attempt is to just put the bmps into the folder with the gdp. That got me a nice little installation file and everything, but after running it, my game wouldn't work. My best guess is that the bmps need to be in a certain place for the exe to find them...

So what do you suggest I do? Thanks guys.

*twidles thumbs*

Oh wow, that's contagious.

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
Re: Install packager
« Reply #1 on: 2006-03-21, 01:34:54 PM »
The BMP files need to be in the directory specified by the GDP file, usually where they were first saved.  However, if you edit the GDP file directly using notepad, you will see something near the top defining each tileset, one attribute of which is the path to the file.  It will look something like: "..\Gamedev\Image.bmp"  Which you need to change to just "Image.bmp" (remove everything before the filename itself).  This will tell SGDK to look for the image files in the same directory as the GDP file itself.  Then save it and try again.
Edward Dassmesser

eric22222

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Eric Online
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2006-03-21, 02:17:41 PM »
That did the trick. So when someone executes the installer, it'll put everything in the folder of their choosing. But to actually play the game, do they need to click and create a shortcut, or is there something I can do to have it install the shortcut along with everything else?

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #3 on: 2006-03-21, 04:31:02 PM »
The shortcuts should automatically be created during install in the Start Menu under the name of the project.  For example, if your project was called "Test Game", after you install the game using the installer, there should be a sub-menu in the start menu called "Test Game", and in that sub-menu should be two links: "Play Test Game" and "Uninstall Test Game".
Edward Dassmesser